|• Mayor (2014–2020)||Emmanuel Devaud|
|Area1||12.18 km2 (4.70 sq mi)|
|• Density||61/km2 (160/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||17032 / 17290|
|Elevation||0–47 m (0–154 ft)
(avg. 12 m or 39 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Ballonais or Ballonaises.
Ballon is located some 12 km north of Rochefort and 6 km south of Aigrefeuille-d'Aunis. Access to the commune is by the D111 road from Thairé in the west which passes through the village and continues to Ciré-d'Aunis in the east. The D266 goes south-west from the village then west to join the D110 west of the commune. The commune is entirely farmland.
The Canal de Charras forms the south-eastern border of the commune with the Canal des Roseaux joining it on the southern border and forming part of the south western border. In most of the commune - especially the south - there is an extensive network of canals including the Canal de Ceinture du Marais de Moullepieds and the Canal de Lileau.
(Not all data is known)
In 2010 the commune had 740 inhabitants. The evolution of the number of inhabitants is known from the population censuses conducted in the commune since 1793. From the 21st century, a census of communes with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants is held every five years, unlike larger communes that have a sample survey every year.[Note 1]
Distribution of Age Groups
The population of the town is relatively young. The ratio of persons above the age of 60 years (18.2%) is lower than the national average (21.6%) and the departmental average (28.1%). Unlike national and departmental allocations, the male population of the town is greater than the female population (50.9% against 48.4% nationally and 48.2% at the departmental level).
Percentage Distribution of Age Groups in Ballon and Charente-Maritime Department in 2010
|0 to 14 Years||22.2||24.4||17.2||15.1|
|15 to 29 Years||15.0||16.9||16.4||14.3|
|30 to 44 Years||26.1||21.3||18.4||17.7|
|45 to 59 Years||19.5||18.8||20.8||20.6|
|60 to 74 Years||11.6||12.2||17.6||18.2|
|75 to 89 Years||5.3||5.5||9.1||12.5|
- Evolution and Structure of the population of the Commune in 2010, INSEE.
- Evolution and Structure of the population of the Department in 2010, INSEE.
- Ballon on Lion1906
- Ballon on Google Maps
- Ballon on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (French)
- Ballon on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Ballon on the INSEE website (French)
- INSEE (French)
Notes and references
- At the beginning of the 21st century, the methods of identification have been modified by Law No. 2002-276 of 27 February 2002, the so-called "law of local democracy" and in particular Title V "census operations" allows, after a transitional period running from 2004 to 2008, the annual publication of the legal population of the different French administrative districts. For communes with a population greater than 10,000 inhabitants, a sample survey is conducted annually, the entire territory of these communes is taken into account at the end of the period of five years. The first "legal population" after 1999 under this new law came into force on 1 January 2009 and was based on the census of 2006.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ballon (Charente-Maritime).|