Bangdiwala's B statistic was created by Dr. Shrikant Bangdiwala in 1985 and is a measure of inter-rater agreement. While not as commonly used as the kappa statistic the B test has been used by various workers. While it is principally used as a graphical aid to inter observer agreement, its asymptotic distribution is known.
The test is applicable to testing the agreement between two observers. It is defined to be
where nii are the values on the main diagonal.[clarification needed] B varies in value between 0 (no agreement) and +1 (perfect agreement).
Tutorials and examples
Worked examples of the use of Bangdiwala's B have been published. The statistical programming language R has a set of functions that will compute the B test, and a tutorial on the use of a test using these R functions is available.
- Bangwidala S (1985) A graphical test for observer agreement. Proc 45th Int Stats Institute Meeting, Amsterdam, 1, 307–308
- Bangdiwala K (1987) Using SAS software graphical procedures for the observer agreement chart. Proc SAS User's Group International Conference, 12, 1083-1088
- Grill E, Mansmann U, Cieza A, Stucki G (2007) Assessing observer agreement when describing and classifying functioning with the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health. J Rehabil Med 39(1):71-76
- Ossa XM, Munoz S, Amigo H, Bangdiwala SI (2010) Secular trend in age at menarche in indigenous and nonindigenous women in Chile. Am J Hum Biol 22(5):688-694
- Jenkins V, Solis-Trapala I, Langridge C, Catt S, Talbot DC, Fallowfield LJ (2011) What oncologists believe they said and what patients believe they heard: an analysis of phase I trial discussions. J Clin Oncol 29(1):61-68 doi:10.1200/JCO.2010.30.0814
- Bangdiwala SI, Haedo, AS, Natal, ML, Villaveces A (2008) The Agreement Chart as an Alternative to the Receiver-Operating Characteristic Curve for Diagnostic Tests. J Clin Epidemiol 61, 866–874
- Bangdiwala, Shrikant I. (1988) "The Agreement Chart". Department of Biostatistics,University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Institute of Statistics Mimeo Series No. 1859 (Appendix)
- Munoz SR & Bangdiwala SI (1997) Interpretation of Kappa and B statistics measures of agreement. J Applied Stats 24 (1) 105-112 doi:10.1080/02664769723918
- Shankara V & Bangdiwala SI (2008) "Behavior of agreement measures in the presence of zero cells and biased marginal distributions". Journal of Applied Statistics, 35 (4), 445-464 doi:10.1080/02664760701835052
- Friendly, M (1995) "Bangdiwala's Observer Agreement Chart" Webpage: Categorical Data Analysis with Graphics (Part 3: Plots for two-way frequency tables) http://www.datavis.ca/courses/grcat/grc3.html#H2_62:Bangdiwala's
- Stokes, M. (2011) "Up To Speed With Categorical Data Analysis". SAS Global Forum 2011, Paper 346-2011
- "Documentation for package ‘vcd’ version 1.2-13", R package: Visualizing Categorical Data
- Friendly, M. "Working with categorical data with R and the vcd and vcdExtra packages", CRAN R project website.