Battlestar Galactica (roller coaster)
An overview of the nested tracks of Battlestar Galactica: Human vs. Cylon.
|Universal Studios Singapore|
|Park section||Sci-Fi City|
|Opening date||18 March 2010|
|Type||Steel – Dueling – Launched|
|Cylon (Inverted)||Human (Sit-down)|
|Height||140 ft (42.7 m)||140 ft (42.7 m)|
|Speed||51.0 mph (82.1 km/h)||56 mph (90.1 km/h)|
|Height restriction||49.2 in (125 cm)|
|Trains||8 cars. Riders are arranged 2 across in a single row for a total of 16 riders per train.|
Battlestar Galactica at RCDB|
Pictures of Battlestar Galactica at RCDB
Battlestar Galactica: Human vs. Cylon is a pair of steel, dueling roller coasters at Universal Studios Singapore. One of the coasters is an inverted roller coaster track in grey, and the other half is a traditional seated roller coaster in red. The coasters, which opened in 2010 and were inactive between 2013 and 2015, reach 42.5 metres (139 ft) in height and are the tallest dueling coasters in the world.
Universal Studios Singapore is the only Universal Studios amusement park to have a Battlestar Galactica roller coaster. It was the first Vekoma coaster, after the Flying Dutchman, to feature four-abreast seating that is similar to coasters by Bolliger & Mabillard and Premier Rides.
The roller coaster trains are launched from their stations at high speed instead of the traditional chain lift. Linear Synchronous Motors (LSM) are used for high-acceleration speed during launching. Similar to the Dragon Challenge at Universal's Islands of Adventure, these coasters feature several near collisions mere inches apart. Part of the ride took place over the park's central lagoon. The coasters are the tallest dueling coaster in the world at 42.5 metres (139 ft).
Battlestar Galactica: Cylon
The Cylon coaster is a coaster designed like the Cylon Raider suspended from the track with legs free that performs intense maneuvers that includes five inversions, a cobra roll, a corkscrew, a vertical loop and a zero-g roll. The Cylon coaster also plunges into a 5-metre (16 ft) deep pit filled with artificial fog to give thrill seekers the sensation of a near miss with the ground. It also includes sudden turns close to buildings emphasizing the sensation of a near miss.
Battlestar Galactica: Human
The Human coaster is designed like the Colonial Viper for riders who want a roller coaster experience without inversions. According to Universal Studios Singapore engineers, riders on the Human track experience more G-forces than those on the Cylon track. At certain points in the ride, the coaster reaches speed of up to 90 kilometres per hour (56 mph).
On 18 March 2010, Battlestar Galactica: Human vs. Cylon was one of the 16 attractions that opened during Universal Studios Singapore's soft opening. A week after its opening, Universal Studios Singapore identified a problem in a ride vehicle during routine testing. The ride closed for repair on 25 March 2010. Both rides remained closed for about 11 months thereafter.
In August 2010, Resorts World Sentosa publicly addressed the reason for closure of the ride, stating that the problem lies with the design of the ride vehicles and not the track layout. Higher than anticipated stress and vibration levels caused fatigue cracks to develop in the seat-post supports of the "Human" coaster car. The redesigned component was to eliminate the weld entirely and was also to be installed with additional strength-reinforcement parts. Extensive ride testing cycles and inspections were conducted, as the ride needed to be re-certified before it reopened to the public. In early February 2011, Universal Studios Singapore announced the rides would re-open on 21 February 2011, although it was opened unofficially for "technical rehearsals" on 4 February 2011.
On 21 December 2010, Battlestar Galactica: Human vs. Cylon entered the final testing stage with newly reinforced cars for both the "Human" and "Cylon" coasters. The ride was scheduled to re-open in the first half of 2011. On 4 February 2011, the ride was opened unofficially for "technical rehearsals", with the ride scheduled to reopen on 21 February 2011.
On 21 July 2013, the ride was closed again for review. More than a year passed before Resorts World Sentosa announced, in November 2014, that Battlestar Galactica: Human vs Cylon would reopen in early 2015 with new trains. On 25 May 2015, Universal Studios Singapore announced that the ride will return with all-new ride vehicles on 27 May 2015. The ride was reopened officially two days later, with the ride vehicles being changed from four-abreast seating to two-abreast seating.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Battlestar Galactica: Human vs. Cylon, Universal Studios Singapore.|
- "Unveiling the Best of Universal Studios at Universal Studios Singapore". BlogSpot. 20 October 2009. Retrieved 21 September 2010.
- Loh, Larry (30 November 2009). "Man or machine? The Battlestar Galactica ride at Universal Studios Singapore". Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- Resorts World at Sentosa: STATEMENT – BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, 25 March 2010. Retrieved on 13.06.10 from Facebook.
- "Battlestar Galactica closes due to technical glitch". Channel NewsAsia. 2010-03-25. Retrieved 2011-01-01.
- "Battlestar Galactica shuts down". The Straits Times. 2010-03-26. Retrieved 2011-01-01.
- "Battlestar Galactica may be closed for weeks". Channel NewsAsia. 2010-04-15. Retrieved 2011-01-01.
- "Roller coaster cars 'flawed'". Straits Times. 5 August 2010. Retrieved 6 August 2010.
- "Cracks found in welded seat-post support of Battlestar Galactica's Human coaster cars". Channel NewsAsia. 2010-08-20. Retrieved 2011-01-01.
- Resorts World Sentosa Blogs (20 August 2010). "Preliminary Findings on Battlestar Galactica Roller Coaster". BlogSpot. Archived from the original on 23 August 2010. Retrieved 20 August 2010.
- Universal Studios Singapore. "Resorts World Sentosa – Sci-Fi City". Resorts World Sentosa. Archived from the original on 2 February 2011. Retrieved 2 February 2011.
- Bigbearsg (4 February 2011). "A Look at the Reopening of Battlestar Dueling Coaster Universal Studios Singapore". Video. YouTube. Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- "Oh FEB, you come too soon". BlogSpot. 6 February 2011. Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- "Battlestar Galactica enters final testing stage". Channel NewsAsia. 2010-12-21. Retrieved 2011-01-01.
- Ling, Ng Kai (2 February 2011). "Battlestar Galactica ride to reopen on Feb 21". Straits Times. Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- Saad, Imelda (2 February 2011). "Battlestar Galactica roller coaster to reopen on Feb 21". Channel News Asia. Archived from the original on 5 February 2011. Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- "Battlestar Galactica to reopen later this month". Asia One. 2 February 2011. Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- "Battlestar Galactica ride at Universal Studios Singapore closed". Channel NewsAsia. 9 August 2013. Archived from the original on 14 August 2013. Retrieved 2 September 2013.
- Resorts World Sentosa. "Battlestar Galactica: Human vs. Cylon at Universal Studios Singapore Will Re-Open With All-New Ride Vehicles" (PDF). Resorts World Sentosa. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- "Battlestar Galactica: HUMAN vs. CYLON takes to the skies again at Universal Studios Singapore". Resorts World Sentosa. 25 May 2015.
- "Battlestar Galactica Reopens This Week at Universal Studios Singapore". 2015-05-25. Retrieved 2016-01-01.