Baywood-Los Osos, California
|Baywood-Los Osos, California|
Location in San Luis Obispo County and the state of California
|County||San Luis Obispo|
|• Type||County Government|
|• Total||19.7 km2 (7.6 sq mi)|
|• Land||19.7 km2 (7.6 sq mi)|
|• Water||0 km2 (0 sq mi)|
|• Density||728.5/km2 (1,888.3/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|ZIP codes||93402, 93412|
|GNIS feature ID||2407812|
Baywood-Los Osos (locally known as Los Osos-Baywood Park) is an unincorporated community in western San Luis Obispo County, California. The population was 14,351 in the 2000 census. It includes the communities of Los Osos, which is located near Morro Bay, Baywood Park, and the former community of Cuesta-by-the-Sea.
Geography and natural history
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Baywood-Los Osos is located at (35.316795, -120.835605).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP had a total area of 7.6 square miles (20 km2), of which, 7.6 square miles (20 km2) of it was land and 0.13% was water.
Baywood-Los Osos was a census-designated place (CDP) through the 2000 census, but the CDP was abolished before the 2010 census. As of the census of 2000, there were 14,351 persons, 5,892 households, and 3,876 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,883.5 people per square mile (727.2/km²). There were 6,214 housing units at an average density of 815.6 per square mile (314.9/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 88.27% White, 0.64% African American, 0.69% Native American, 4.56% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 2.49% from other races, and 3.28% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 9.00% of the population.
There were 5,892 households out of which 27.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.9% were married couples living together, 9.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.2% were non-families. 25.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 2.91.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 21.6% under the age of 18, 7.6% from 18 to 24, 24.7% from 25 to 44, 27.1% from 45 to 64, and 19.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 92.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.2 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $46,558, and the median income for a family was $55,838. Males had a median income of $39,311 versus $31,450 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $24,838. About 5.0% of families and 8.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.4% of those under age 18 and 5.1% of those age 65 or over.
In the California State Legislature, Baywood-Los Osos is in the 17th Senate District, represented by Democrat Bill Monning, and in the 35th Assembly District, represented by Republican Jordan Cunningham.
- C. Michael Hogan. 2008. , Los Osos Back Bay, Megalithic Portal, editor A. Burnham
- San Luis Obispo County, California Planning Department. 1969. Preliminary Master Plan for the Baywood-Los Osos Area
- San Luis Obispo County, California Planning Department. 1969
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- C. Michael Hogan. 2008
- "CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING (1790-2000)". U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on July 8, 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Statewide Database". UC Regents. Retrieved November 23, 2014.
- "California's 24th Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved September 29, 2014.