Beckii Cruel in Rome, April 2015
|Birth name||Rebecca Anne Flint|
5 June 1995 |
Blackpool, Lancashire, England, UK
|Origin||Ramsey, Isle of Man |
Entertainer, Vlogger, YouTuber
|Instruments||Vocals, synthesizer, programming|
|Labels||Life Is So Cruel, Ltd.
Tokuma Japan Communications
|Associated acts||Cruel Angels, Area 11|
Rebecca Anne Flint (born 5 June 1995), better known by her stage name Beckii Cruel, is a British pop dancer and singer from England. She reached popularity in Japan after her YouTube videos of her dancing to dance pop songs were posted around the Internet. She was the 17th most subscribed user (3rd most in the Musician category) in Japan on YouTube as of 25 August 2010. Her YouTube account has reached 20 million upload views and over 100,000 subscribers.
1995-2009: Early life and beginnings
Flint was born in Blackpool, Lancashire, England, the daughter of a police inspector and a former dance instructor. She moved with her family at the age of 2 to Ramsey on the Isle of Man, where she attended Ramsey Grammar School. She became interested in anime and manga at the age of 11, when she first started reading Fruits Basket. On 22 July 2007, she began a YouTube channel under the name "xBextahx" (from a nickname she had when she was younger). On 15 April 2009, she posted a video of herself dancing to Danjo, a popular Japanese Internet meme. Danjo is Japanese for boy and girl. Her YouTube video was uploaded to the Japanese video streaming website Nico Nico Douga, where she instantly attracted fans.
Flint signed onto a talent ageny, Life Is So Cruel, Ltd., in August 2009. Emerging under the stage name "Beckii Cruel" she flew to Japan, where she was able to perform with Taro in Akihabara. Although Cruel had experience in dancing, having taken ballet for most of her life, she was required to undergo vocal training. She began seeking advice from David Holland, and, according to her father, "works with him at least once a week".
2009–2010: This is Beckii Cruel!, Tsubasa wo Kudasai and Beckii: Schoolgirl Superstar at 14
In October 2009, Cruel visited Japan with a group called the Cruel Angels, with 18-year-old French college student, known by her stage name Sarah Cruel, from Lyon, and a 17-year-old student from Portsmouth known by her stage name as Gemma Cruel.
On 4 November 2009, Cruel herself released two songs on two different albums, titled "No, Upper Matsuri" (の、アッパー祭 No, Appā Matsuri?) and "No, Ballad Matsuri" (の、バラード祭 No, Barādo Matsuri?) as part of the "No, Matsuri" (の、祭り?) CD series which features other singers popular from the Japanese Nico Nico Douga Video community. On 9 December, she released her first idol DVD, titled This is Beckii Cruel!. It debuted at number 8 on Japan's DVD charts.
On 12 August 2010, BBC Three premiered a documentary about her, entitled Beckii: Schoolgirl Superstar at 14. This documentary brought her to a mainstream UK audience. As of September 2010, Cruel is no longer affiliated with the Cruel Angels, or with the Cruel Angels Project, citing a dispute with her management as the reason for her departure from the project.
As featured artist
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2013||"Shi No Barado"
(Area 11 featuring Beckii Cruel)
|115||All The Lights In The Sky|
|"—" denotes single that did not chart or was not released.|
|Title||Album details||Oricon DVD Chart|
|This Is Beckii Cruel ||
- Sam Williamson (10 December 2009). "Ramsey teenager is Japanese pop icon". Isle of Man Today. Archived from the original on 10 February 2010. Retrieved 7 February 2010.
- Paul Gallagher (7 February 2010). "Isle of Man schoolgirl becomes an anime star in Japan". The Observer. Archived from the original on 9 February 2010. Retrieved 24 August 2015.
- 「かわいすぎる」ベッキーさんの素顔－ディス・イズ・ベッキー・クルーエル！！（インタビュー編）. DHE Corp (in Japanese). 9 December 2009. Retrieved 24 August 2015.
- "British Anime Net Dancer Beckii Cruel Forms Girl Band". Anime News Network. 18 December 2009. Retrieved 24 August 2015.
- "British Anime Net Dancer Beckii Cruel Gets DVD in Japan". Anime News Network. 13 October 2009. Archived from the original on 26 January 2010. Retrieved 24 August 2015.
- "Beckii: Schoolgirl Superstar at 14". BBC. 13 August 2010. Archived from the original on 14 August 2010. Retrieved 24 August 2015.
- "Spring.me". Formspring.me. Retrieved 24 August 2015.
- "「ディス イズ ベッキー クルーエル」 ベッキー・クルーエル│オリコン芸能人事典-ORICON STYLE". Oricon.co.jp. Retrieved 24 August 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Beckii Cruel.|