Popteen featuring 'cover queen' Ayumi Hamasaki.
|Company||Kadokawa Haruki Corporation|
|Website||Popteen Official Website|
Popteen (ポップティーン Poppu Tin?) is a monthly teenage fashion magazine published by the Kadokawa Haruki Corporation in Japan. The first issue was published on October 1, 1980 by Kadokawa Shoten. Later issues were published by Asuka Shinsha who bought the magazine for 200 million yen . In 1994 the magazine was bought by the Kadokawa Haruki Corporation for 600 million yen, and has since become its flagship publication.
Both Ayumi Hamasaki and Kumiko Funayama have been featured on the cover 19 times, Hamasaki first appearing in 2000 and Funayama in 2008. Other artists who have appeared on the cover include Kumi Koda and Namie Amuro, as well as US artists like Avril Lavigne, Britney Spears, Fergie, and Gwen Stefani.
The magazine is famous for including 'doku-moderu' (読者モデル) where the readers of Popteen are able to become models in the magazine. It is also notable for its coverage of Gyaru fashions. One of the most popular Popteen models is Tsubasa Masuwaka, who in December 2007 married male fashion model Naoki Umeda. She announced on her blog that she had graduated from Popteen and that the February 2008 issue would be her last.
- Hikari Shiina (Pikarin, 椎名ひかり)
- Ai Matsumoto (Maapipi, 松本愛)
- Minato Kobori (Minyatocchi, 小堀美茄冬)
- Yumika Hirao (Yumicchi, 平尾優美花)
- Reimi Oosawa (Reipyon, 大澤玲実)
- Nozomi Maeda (Maenon, 前田希美)
- Sayaka Imai (Saaya, 今井彩矢佳)
- Dakota Rose (Dakota, ダコタローズ)
- Yuumi Shida (Yumin, 志田友美)
- Ochi Yulano (Yulayula, 越智ゆらの)
- Miyu Ikeda (Michopa, 池田美優)
- Fujita Nicole (Nikorun, 藤田 ニコル)
- Okuwaki Serika (Serikamacho, 奥脇晴梨夏)
- Miyajima Zaira (Zaira, 宮島ざいら)
- Ishitobi Erika (Eririn, 石飛恵里花)
- Nakajima Anri (Anan, 中嶋杏理)
- Nakayama Aimi (Apichun, 中山愛美)
- Popteen japanese magazine cover archive
- Tsubasa & Umesyan got MARRIED!!!1 - Page 3 - Ricoche.net
- "Launching 'PopSister', Tsubasa Masuwaka appears as the cover girl!", April 17, 2010, Model Press (Japanese)