Church in Westerdijkshorn
Location in Groningen
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Henk Bakker (CDA)|
|• Total||44.96 km2 (17.36 sq mi)|
|• Land||44.57 km2 (17.21 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.39 km2 (0.15 sq mi)|
|Elevation||-1 m (−3 ft)|
|Population (May 2014)|
|• Density||235/km2 (610/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Bedum (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈbeːdʏm] ( listen), Gronings: Beem) is a municipality and a town in the northeastern Netherlands. Populated by 10,459 inhabitants in 2014, Bedum is one of the larger of Groningen's several satellite towns.
Bedum is the site of three supermarkets, several pubs, and a leaning church tower, dubbed "the leaning tower of Bedum". Footballer Arjen Robben was born in Bedum (23 January 1984).
Bedum has a railway station - Bedum railway station.
The leaning tower
Bedum's 36-metre tower of the St Walfridus church has been calculated as now leaning at a greater angle than the leaning tower of Pisa. If both towers were the same height, Bedum's would have a greater displacement by 6 cm.
- 1860-1873 J.H. Leopold (previously mayor of Adorp)
- 1873-1878 W.J. Bekker
- 1878-1895 R.J. van Bruggen
- 1895-1909 dr H.V. Schleurholts
- 1909-1914 Simon Berman (previously of Kwadijk, Warder, and Middelie and of Schagen, subsequently of Alblasserdam)
- 1914-1917 Klaas van Sevenhoven (ARP) (previously of Stedum, subsequently of Onstwedde)
- 1917-1943 M. Jouwstra (ARP) (previously town clerk of Ambt Hardenberg)
- 1943-194? I.G. Timmer (NSB)
- 19??-1962 J.N. Spoelstra
- 1962-1971 J.C. Lindeboom (ARP)
- 1971-1991 Albert Smallenbroek (ARP/CDA)
- 1991-2009 Wilte Everts (CDA)
- 2010-Present Henk Bakker (CDA)
- Arjen Robben, professional footballer for Bayern Munich and the Netherlands national football team
- "drs. Bakker (CDA), H.P. (Henk)" (in Dutch). Gemeente Bedum. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 9781JL". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- Dutch say Pisa no longer Europe's most leaning tower, Reuters, 28 August 2009
- "De Wiel Coerver Methode" (in Dutch). Vvjps.nl. Archived from the original on 6 April 2008. Retrieved 3 August 2008.
- Official website
- J. Kuyper, Gemeente Atlas van Nederland, 1865-1870, "Bedum". Map of the municipality around 1868.
|This Groningen location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|