Before Night Falls (film)
|Before Night Falls|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Julian Schnabel|
|Produced by||Jon Kilik|
Before Night Falls|
by Reinaldo Arenas
|Music by||Carter Burwell|
|Edited by||Michael Berenbaum|
|Distributed by||Fine Line Features|
|Box office||$8.5 million|
Before Night Falls is a 2000 American biographical romantic drama directed by Julian Schnabel. Based on the autobiography of the same name of Reinaldo Arenas, which was published in English in 1993, the screenplay was written by Schnabel, Cunningham O'Keefe and Lázaro Gómez Carriles. The film stars Javier Bardem (who was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor), Johnny Depp, Olivier Martinez, Andrea Di Stefano, Santiago Magill and Michael Wincott. The film had its world premiere at the 2000 Venice International Film Festival.
In the film, Arenas is born in Oriente in 1943 and raised by his single mother and her parents, who soon move the entire family to Holguín. After moving to Havana in the sixties to continue his studies, Reinaldo begins to explore his ambitions, as well as his sexuality. After receiving an honorary mention in a writing contest, Arenas is offered the chance to publish his first work. Through his work and friendships with other openly gay men (such as Pepe Malas and Tomas Diego), Arenas manages to find himself.
The political climate in Cuba becomes increasingly dangerous, and in the early seventies Arenas is arrested for allegedly sexually assaulting minors, and for publishing abroad without official consent. In the next decade, Arenas is in and out of prison, attempting and failing to leave the country several times.
In 1980, Arenas finally leaves Cuba for the US, starting a new life with his close friend Lazaro Gomez Carriles. A few years later, Arenas is diagnosed with AIDS, and after spending several years suffering he dies in 1990 with the help of Lazaro.
- Javier Bardem as Reinaldo Arenas
- Olivier Martinez as Lazaro Gomez Carriles
- Johnny Depp as Bon Bon / Lt. Victor
- Héctor Babenco as Virgilio Pinera
- Andrea Di Stefano as Pepe Malas
- Santiago Magill as Tomas Diego
- John Ortiz as Juann Abreu
- Manuel González as Jose Lezama Lima
- Francisco Gattorno as Jorge Camacho
- Marisol Padilla Sánchez as Margarita Camacho
- Michael Wincott as Herberto Zorilla Ochoa
- Pedro Armendáriz Jr. as Reinaldo's Grandfather
- Sean Penn as Cuco Sanchez
- Najwa Nimri as Fina Zorilla Ochoa
- Diego Luna as Carlos
- Cy and Olmo Schnabel as Reinaldo's classmates
- Vito Maria Schnabel as Teenage Reinaldo
- Lola Schnabel as Girl with keys
- Stella Schnabel as Valeria
- Jack and Esther G. Schnabel as Mr. and Mrs. Greenberg
- Olatz López Garmendia as Mrs. Arenas
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a 73% approval rating based on 98 reviews and an average rating of 6.8/10. The site's consensus states: "An impressionistic, fragmented look at Reinaldo Arenas, Before Night Falls' imagery manages to evoke a sense of the writer's artistry, and Bardem's strong performance holds the film together. Finally, a biopic done well." Metacritic reports an 85 out of 100 rating based on 26 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".
Roger Ebert of The New York Times gave the film 3.5 stars out of 4, stating, "One is reminded a little of the Marquis de Sade, as portrayed in Quills. It was never simply what they wrote, but that, standing outside convention, taunting the authorities, inhabiting impossible lives, they wrote at all." Peter Travers from Rolling Stone awarded the film a full five out of five stars, writing, "In uniting to honor Arenas, Bardem and Schnabel create something extraordinary."
The film opened in eight venues on December 22, 2000, and earned $85,230 in its first weekend, ranking #34 in the North American box office. The film received a wide release on February 23, 2001.
Awards and nominations
- 2000: Venice International Film Festival: Silver Lion – Jury's special award: Julian Schnabel
- 2000: Venice International Film Festival: Coppa Volpi (Best Actor): Javier Bardem
- 2000: National Board of Review Award for Best Actor:Best Actor: Javier Bardem
- 2000: Political Film Society Award for Exposé
- 2000: Independent Spirit Awards: Best Actor: Javier Bardem
- "Before Night Falls". American Film Institute. Retrieved April 1, 2017.
- "Before Night Falls". TheWrap. Retrieved March 31, 2017.
- "Before Night Falls (2000)". Box Office Mojo. Amazon.com. Retrieved March 31, 2017.
- Before Night Falls cinetropic.com.
- Director Interview Jan-April 2001.
- "Before Night Falls". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved March 31, 2017.
- "Before Night Falls reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved March 31, 2017.
- "Before Night Falls Movie Review (2001)". Ebert, Roger. February 2, 2001.
- "Before Night Falls - Movie Reviews". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. June 4, 2001.
- "Weekend Box Office Results for December 22-25, 2000". Box Office Mojo. Amazon.com. December 26, 2000.
- "Before Night Falls (2000) - Weekend Box Office Results". Box Office Mojo. Amazon.com. Retrieved March 31, 2017.
- Awards nytimes.com.
- Awards Official website