Friedberg, Hessen, Germany
Benjamin Herrmann studied Directing at the Munich Academy for Film and Television. After graduating with his award-winning short film Der große Lacher (The Big Laugh) in 1997, he headed private broadcaster ProSieben’s production department, where he executive produced over 40 TV movies and feature films, including Germany’s most successful film of all times, Der Schuh des Manitu (Manitou's Shoe).
From 2000 to 2006 he was managing director of Germany’s mini-major Senator’s production and distribution outfits. There, he produced and distributed commercially successful and critically acclaimed films like Das Experiment, Das Wunder von Bern (The Miracle of Bern) and Academy Award-nominee Joyeux Noël (Merry Christmas). His distribution projects further included Ridley Scott’s Black Hawk Down, Lasse Hallström’s Chocolat, Jonathan Glazer’s Sexy Beast and Alejandro Amenábar’s The Others.
In 2006 he set up his own production and distribution company, Majestic. He quickly assembled a slate of highly successful films: Doris Dörrie’s box office hit Kirschblüten - Hanami (Cherry Blossoms), Philipp Stölzl’s mountain drama Nordwand (North Face), Sherry Hormann’s adaptation of Waris Dirie’s best-selling novel Desert Flower, Academy Award-winner Florian Gallenberger’s John Rabe, Hermine Huntgeburth’s adaptation of Mark Twain’s classic novel Tom Sawyer, David Wnendt’s adaptation of Charlotte Roche’s novel Wetlands and Christian Zübert’s Florian David Fitz starrer Tour de Force.
His latest production Colonia by Academy Award-winner Florian Gallenberger is starring Emma Watson, Daniel Brühl and Michael Nyqvist had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival and will be released in 2016.
- 2009 Bavarian Film Awards, Best Picture John Rabe
- 2009 German Academy Awards, Best Picture John Rabe
- 1998 Studio Hamburg Young Director's Award, Best Short Film Der große Lacher (The Big Laugh)
- 2006 Academy Awards, Best Foreign Language Film Joyeux Noël (Merry Christmas)
- 1998 Max Ophüls Award, Best Short Film Der große Lacher (The Big Laugh)
The most well-known movies produced by Herrmann include
- Der Schuh des Manitu (Manitou's Shoe) (2001)
- Das Experiment (2001)
- Was nicht passt, wird passend gemacht (If It Don't Fit, Use A Bigger Hammer) (2002)
- Das Wunder von Bern (The Miracle of Bern) (2003)
- Joyeux Noël (Merry Christmas) (2005)
- Wo ist Fred? (Special) (2006)
- Nordwand (North Face) (2008)
- John Rabe (2009)
- Desert Flower (2009)
- Tom Sawyer (2011)
- Tour de Force (2014)
- Colonia (2015)
- Blaney, Martin (February 9, 2007). "Majestic bow for a former senator". Retrieved 2009-08-05.
- "Emma Watson, Daniel Bruhl to Star in Thriller 'Colonia'". Variety. Retrieved 2015-01-11.
- Meza, Ed (January 19, 2009). "'Rabe,' 'Baader' share Bavaria prize". Variety. Retrieved 2009-08-05.
- Blaney, Martin (April 25, 2009). "Florian Gallenberger's epic drama John Rabe wins four Lolas". Retrieved 2009-08-05.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Benjamin Herrmann.|