Benoît Battistelli (born July 12, 1950 in Paris, France) is a French civil servant and current president of the European Patent Office (EPO). Before taking up this post, he was head of the French National Intellectual Property Institute (INPI).
Benoît Battistelli graduated from the École Nationale d'Administration (ÉNA, English: National School of Administration) in 1978. From 1978 to 2002, he held various posts in French government departments and the French embassies in Italy, India, Poland and Turkey. Later, from June 2002 to April 2004, he was assistant director of staff of Nicole Fontaine, former President of the European Parliament.
From May 12, 2004 to June–July 2010, he headed (more precisely, he was the directeur général, i.e. chief executive officer) the French National Intellectual Property Institute (INPI, standing for Institut national de la propriété industrielle in French), in charge of patents, trademarks and industrial design rights.
Battistelli chaired the Supervisory Board of the European Patent Academy from July 2005 to July 2008. He was also chairman of the Administrative Council of the European Patent Organisation. He was elected to the post of Deputy Chairman of the Administrative Council of the European Patent Organisation on December 5, 2006 for a three-year term. Then, later the Administrative Council appointed him as its Chairman for a three-year term, from 5 March 2009 until March 2012, although his election in March 2010 as President of the European Patent Office meant that he had to step down as Chairman of the Administrative Council.
In 2008, he had been named as one of the potential candidates to succeed Kamil Idris to lead the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), but Francis Gurry was eventually selected for the post.
President of the EPO
On March 1, 2010, he was elected president of the European Patent Office (EPO), after a long and controversial series of meetings of the Administrative Council. He took up the post on 1 July 2010, for a term of five years. He is the sixth president of the EPO, the second Frenchman to hold the post, and the first president who has previously held the post of Chairman of the Administrative Council.
Under Battistelli's tenure, the EPO has played an important role in the preparatory work for the introduction of the unitary patent, which has yet to come into existence. In this context, Battistelli was listed in 2014 by the Managing Intellectual Property magazine as one of the 50 most influential people in intellectual property.
In June 2014, Battistelli's term of office as EPO president was extended for a further three years until 30 June 2018, amidst concerns from the EPO staff. Battistelli's presidency of the EPO has encountered discontent among the staff and has been marked by industrial actions with an escalation of the conflict in 2014. Discontent on the part of staff has been attributed to Battistelli's style of management which, according to reports in the German newspapers Die Zeit and Die Welt, is perceived by staff as being unduly autocratic and unsuited to a European intergovernmental body such as the EPO. Battistelli's management style has also been criticized in the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf, and by Philip Cordery, member of the French National Assembly.
Computer tapping scandal
In June 2015, shortly before a meeting of the EPO President with the European Parliament, news broke of a controversial computer tapping action which apparently took place at the EPO towards the end of 2014. An article published in the leading German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung stated that it had obtained an internal report which showed that the EPO had tapped two publicly accessible computers that had been identified as a source for leaked information. The systems were placed under surveillance using cameras and keylogging and this led to the suspension of a member of staff.
These events led the Bavarian Data Protection Commissioner, Dr. Thomas Petri, to call for oversight of data protection matters at the EPO by external experts. Dr. Petri revealed that he had examined data protection arrangements at the EPO in 2014 and found these to be deficient. He notified the Federal German Data Protection Commissioner who stated his intention to raise the matter with the Council of the European Union.
Local political life
In 2013, Battistelli received an honorary professorship from Renmin University of China, Beijing, and, in 2014, the Menéndez Pelayo International University in Santander, Spain, awarded him an honorary doctorate.
- EPO web site, President, Benoît Battistelli, August 2011.
- (French) Arrêté du 25 juin 2010 portant nomination du directeur général par intérim de l'Institut national de la propriété industrielle, NOR: ECEZ1015755A, JORF n°0148 du 29 juin 2010 page 11672, texte n° 63. Consulted on July 1, 2010 (legifrance.gouv.fr).
- (French) Les forums du financement et de l’Innovation web site, Benoît Batistelli. Consulted on March 23, 2008.
- (French) INPI web site, Le Conseil d'administration. Consulted on March 23, 2008.
- France names new patent office chief, Managing Intellectual Property, Weekly News, May 2004. Consulted on March 23, 2008.
- European Patent Office (EPO) web site, Administrative Council, Composition. Consulted on March 8, 2009.
- (French), INPI web site, Benoît Battistelli, Directeur général de l'INPI, est élu vice-président du conseil d'administration de l'Office européen des brevets (OEB), Communiqués de presse (Press release), December 6, 2006. Consulted on March 23, 2008.
- EPO web site, Benoît Battistelli to head the Administrative Council of the European Patent Organisation, News, December 11, 2008. Consulted on December 11, 2008.
- Eklavya Gupte, Race to succeed Idris underway, Managing Intellectual Property, January 11, 2008. Consulted on March 23, 2008.
- EPO web site, Applications received for the post of EPO President, 17 September 2009. Consulted on September 18, 2009.
- EPO web site, Benoît Battistelli elected EPO President, News, 1 March 2010. Consulted on 2 March 2010.
- (German) V. Bernau, Schwieriges Amt, schwere Wahl, Süddeutsche Zeitung online, 1 March 2010. Consulted on 2 March 2010.
- IP’s most influential people 2014, Managing Intellectual Property, 21 July 2014. Consulted on 2 September 2014.
- "Battistelli given three-year extension at EPO", World Intellectual Property Review, 30 June 2014
- Report on the 140th meeting of the Administrative Council of the European Patent Organisation (25-26 June 2014), OJ EPO 2014, A79 (Online publication date: 31.8.2014).
- "EPO President Battistelli’s Term Extended Amid Staff Concerns", Intellectual Property Watch, 30 June 2014
- "Machtfülle, die es in Europas Behörden sonst kaum gibt". Süddeutsche Zeitung (in German). 28 June 2014. Retrieved 4 July 2014.
- "Streit beim Europäischen Patentamt eskaliert", Süddeutsche Zeitung, 11.03.2014
- "European Patent Office Staff Calls Strike; President Battistelli Reacts", Intellectual Property Watch, 19.03.2014
- "EPO facing more strike action", World Intellectual Property Review, 28.05.2014
- "EPO staff in Battistelli fight" ", World Intellectual Property Review, 28.05.2014
- "Umstritten und souverän", Die Zeit, 30.03.2014
- English translation of "Umstritten und souverän": "Controversial and sovereign"
- Tauber, Andre (24 August 2014). "Aufstand der Besserverdiener" [Uprising of the high-income earners]. Die Welt (in German) (Axel Springer SE). p. 4. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- "Terreur op werkvloer onder Franse despoot", De Telegraaf, 24 June 2014 (in Dutch).
- "Franse despoot herbenoemd bij Octrooibureau", De Telegraaf, 26 June 2014 (in Dutch).
- Agence France Presse, AFP (March 30, 2014). "A l’Office européen des brevets, ambiance délétère et président contesté" [At the EPO, deleterious atmosphere and contentious president] (in French). Le Parisien. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- Lamant, Ludovic (24 June 2014). "Tension sociale maximale au sein de l'office européen des brevets" [High social unrest at the European Patent Office]. Mediapart (in French) (Société Editrice de Mediapart (SAS)). Retrieved 3 September 2014. (also available here).
- Intellectual Property Watch, "Report: European Patent Office Tapped Computers", Intellectual Property Watch, 11 June 2015
- Riedel, Katja (8 June 2015). "Europäisches Patentamt überwachte Mitarbeiter mit Keyloggern" [The European Patent Office carried out secret surveillance on employees using keyloggers]. Süddeutsche Zeitung (in German) (Munich). Retrieved 9 June 2015.
- Katja Riedel, "Europäisches Patentamt: Forderung nach externem Datenschützer", Süddeutsche Zeitung, 10 June 2015 (in German)
- Thomas Magenheim-Hörmann, "Europäisches Patentamt: Europäisches Patentamt: Beschäftigte bespitzelt", Münchner Merkur, 13 June 2015 (in German)
- "Élus de la majorité "Union pour Saint-Germain"". Mairie de Saint Germain en Laye. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- "7th EPO-SIPO heads' meeting brings offices even closer together". European Patent Office. 29 November 2013. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- "EPO and Spain continue co-operation on Latin America". European Patent Office. 15 July 2014. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- "Benoît Battistelli y Bruno Strigini, Doctores Honoris Causa por la UIMP" [Benoît Battistelli and Bruno Strigini, Doctors Honoris Causa of the UIMP] (in Spanish). Universidad Internacional Menéndez Pelayo. 9 July 2014. Retrieved 3 August 2014.
- Barbaux, Aurélie (September 20, 2012). "Le stratège du brevet européen" [The strategist of the European patent] (in French). L'Usine Nouvelle n° 3299. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- Benoît Battistelli at the European Patent Office
- Benoît Battistelli at Who's Who in France
- (French) Interview (dailymotion.com) (JoCIF)
- Questions by epi to the candidates for the position as President of the EPO, Mr. Benoît Battistelli by the European Patent Institute (epi), October 2009.[dead link]
|Head of the French National Institute of Industrial Property
|Positions in intergovernmental organisations|
|Chairman of the Administrative Council of the European Patent Organisation
|President of the European Patent Office