Location of Berau Regency in East Kalimantan
|• Total||21,240 km2 (8,200 sq mi)|
|• Density||8.4/km2 (22/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (WITA)|
Berau Regency (Indonesian: Kabupaten Berau) is one of the six regencies in East Kalimantan province in Indonesia. The capital is Tanjung Redeb. It has an area of 21,240 km² and a population of 179,079 at the 2010 Census.
Berau Marine Conservation Area
Konservasi Kawasan Laut (KKL) Berau or Berau Marine Conservation Area is formed in 2005 has 1,321 million hectares area which lies among Pulau Panjang (Long Island), Karangtigau Cape, and Baliktaba Reef. The area has the second highest coral reef biodiversity in Indonesia after Raja Ampat Islands and third highest in the world. The ecosystem covers coral reef, mangrove forest and sea grass.
The novelist Joseph Conrad made four visits to Berau, stopping at Tanjung Redeb, while employed as the first mate of the merchant vessel S.S. Vidar in 1887-1888. The geographical setting and the lives of the small number of European traders based in Berau made a profound impression on him, and the setting for three of his novels (Almayer's Folly, An Outcast of the Islands and the second part of Lord Jim) is loosely based on Berau. Conrad sometimes refers to the Berau river as Pantai and uses the fictional name Sambir to refer to Tanjung Redeb.
- "Kabupaten Berau website". Government of Indonesia. Archived from the original on 2002-08-02. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- Profil Daerah Kabupaten Berau - Statistik Penduduk Menurut Jenis Kelamin
- "Indonesian Traditional States II". World Statesmen.org. Cahoon, Ben. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- Biro Pusat Statistik, Jakarta, 2011.
- "Melindungi Keragaman Hayati Terumbu Karang Tertinggi Ketiga di Dunia KKL Berau". February 4, 2012.
- Sherry, Norman (1966). Conrad's Eastern World. Cambridge: University Press.
- (in Indonesian) Official website
- (in Indonesian) Site about forest conservation in Berau
- (in Indonesian) Berau, Supermarket Wisata Kalimantan Timur
|This East Kalimantan location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|