|First Lady of Ondo State|
|Assumed office |
24 February 2017
|Governor||Oluwarotimi Odunayo Akeredolu|
|Preceded by||Olukemi Mimiko|
Betty Onyetugochioma Claribel Uburuamaka Anyanwu
20 July 1953
Owerri, Imo State
|Political party||All Progressives Congress|
|Spouse(s)||Oluwarotimi Odunayo Akeredolu|
|Alma mater||University of Nigeria, Nsukka|
|Profession||Politician, aquaculturist, philanthropist|
Betty Anyanwu-Akeredolu (born 1953) is an aquaculturist, philanthropist, and the First Lady of Ondo State in Nigeria. She is married to Governor Oluwarotimi Odunayo Akeredolu. She is the founder of the Breast Cancer Association of Nigeria.
Birth and education
Betty Anyanwu-Akeredolu was born on 20 July 1953, to the family of Chief BUB and Nneoma Dora Anyanwu, in Emeabiam, Owerri-West, in Imo State. Anyanwu-Akeredolu attended the University of Nigeria, Nsukka where she obtained a bachelor of science degree in zoology in 1977. She holds a master of science degree in fisheries, major in aquaculture, from the University of the Philippines Visayas in Iloilo City.
She began her career as a fisheries expert while working with the Federal Department of Fisheries. She retired in 2005. She is a commercial fish farmer and provides consultancy services through her firm, Aquatek Farms Ventures. In addition, she has made a foray into politics since 2007 and is active in the present (2017) dispensation.
Charity and philanthropy
In 1997, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She underwent treatment and survived. She started the nonprofit organization, Breast Cancer Association of Nigeria (BRECAN) to raise awareness of the disease. She has won awards in recognition of her work and commitment in the fight against breast cancer in Nigeria.
She is also a supporter of the Bring Back Our Girls movement.
- "When I met my husband, it was love at first sight – Betty Akeredolu".
- "Akeredolu's wife pledges to help end female genital mutilation in Ondo - Premium Times Nigeria". www.premiumtimesng.com. Retrieved 6 April 2017.
- "ABOUT". 11 May 2012.
- "When I met my husband, it was love at first sight – Betty Akeredolu". punchng.com.
- "Rotimi Akeredolu's Wife-Betty Anyanwu Akeredolu Profile-New Ondo First Lady".
- https://www.pressreader.com/nigeria/thisday/20170303/281784218879458%7Cpublisher=thisdaylive.com%7Caccessdate=7 April 2017
- ondoevents (17 June 2017). "Betty Anyanwu – Akeredolu, Compassionate First Lady of Ondo state".
- "Meet Betty Anyanwu Akeredolu Wife of Ondo State Governor Mr. Rotimi Akeredolu Her 4 Children : See Brief Profile & Biography – Daily Media Nigeria". dailymedia.com.ng.
- http://studylib.net/doc/7071818/--recovery-international-breast-cancer-support-conference%7Cpublisher=studylib.net%7Caccessdate=6 April 2017
- "How Nigeria can win the fight against cancer - BRECAN Founder, Betty Anyanwu-Akeredolu". dailypost.ng. 6 February 2017.
- "Why I married Governor Akeredolu – Wife - Nigeria Newspapers".
- http://www.nigerianmonitor.com/rotimi-akeredolus-wifebetty-anyanwu-akeredolu-profilenew-ondo-first-lady/%7Cpublisher=www.nigerianmonitor.com[permanent dead link]