Beyond the Ultimate Adventure
|Beyond the Ultimate Adventure|
|Big Finish Productions audio drama|
|Written by||Terrance Dicks|
|Directed by||Jason Haigh-Ellery|
|Release date||December 2011|
The Companion Chronicles "talking books" are each narrated by one of the Doctor's companions and feature a second, guest-star voice along with music and sound effects.
"By a route obscure and lonely, Haunted by ill angels only, Where an Eidolon, named Night, On a black throne reigns upright, I have reached these lands but newly From an ultimate dim Thule – From a wild weird clime, that lieth, sublime, Out of Space – out of Time."
The Sixth Doctor, Crystal and Jason are summoned back to Bar Galactica by Karl. He takes them on a quest for treasure and universal danger, into an obscure dimension, to the icy world of Ultima Thule.
- This story is a sequel to The Ultimate Adventure, an audio adaptation of a 1989 stage play. It is not generally considered part of the established continuity of Doctor Who, as it featured characters breaking out into song and the Sixth Doctor's anachronistic use of his Sonic Screwdriver.
- Monsters from the Doctor's past are physically manifested from his memories. They include a vampire (State of Decay), a Rutan (The Horror of Fang Rock) and a Raston Warrior Robot (The Five Doctors). All three of these television stories were written by Terrance Dicks.
- The Sixth Doctor wears his fur coat, previously worn by the Second Doctor in The Abominable Snowmen and the 1983 20th anniversary special The Five Doctors.
- Terrance Dicks wrote many stories for the first three decades of Doctor Who, as well as the stage play, The Ultimate Adventure. He also adapted it for audio in 2008. This is his first Companion Chronicles story.
- The only other Companion Chronicles stories to feature one of the Doctors in the cast were Peri and the Piscon Paradox, also with Colin Baker, and Project: Nirvana, featuring Sylvester McCoy.