Big City (1937 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Frank Borzage|
|Produced by||Frank Borzage
|Written by||Norman Krasna
|Music by||William Axt|
|Edited by||Fredrick Y. Smith|
Joe Benton (Spencer Tracy) and his wife Anna (Luise Rainer) are suspected of starting a taxi war. Although innocent, they are blamed for everything that has happened and the officials demand that Anna be deported from the United States. While trying to prove their innocence, the couple feels forced to hide.
- Luise Rainer as Anna Benton
- Spencer Tracy as Joe Benton
- Charley Grapewin as Robert, the Mayor
- Janet Beecher as Sophie Sloane
- Eddie Quillan as Mike Edwards
- Victor Varconi as Paul Roya
- Oscar O'Shea as John C. Andrews
- John Arledge as Bud
According to MGM records the film earned $906,000 in the US and Canada and $695,000 elsewhere resulting in a profit of $462,000.
- The Eddie Mannix Ledger, Los Angeles: Margaret Herrick Library, Center for Motion Picture Study.
- The Great Depression in America by William H. Young, Nancy K. Young. p.560