It Started with Eve
|It Started with Eve|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Henry Koster|
|Produced by||Joe Pasternak|
|Story by||Hanns Kräly|
|Music by||Hans J. Salter|
|Edited by||Bernard W. Burton|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
It Started with Eve is a 1941 American musical romantic comedy film directed by Henry Koster and starring Deanna Durbin, Robert Cummings, and Charles Laughton. Based on a story by Hanns Kräly, the film is about a man whose dying father wants to meet his son's new fiancée, but she is unavailable, so he substitutes a hatcheck girl. Complications arise when the father unexpectedly recovers. The film received an Academy Award nomination for Best Original Music Score (Charles Previn and Hans J. Salter). The film is considered by some critics to be Durbin's best film, and the last in which she worked with the producer (Joe Pasternak) and director (Henry Koster) that groomed her for stardom. It Started with Eve was remade in 1964 as I'd Rather Be Rich.
- Deanna Durbin as Anne Terry
- Charles Laughton as Jonathan Reynolds
- Robert Cummings as Jonathan 'Johnny' Reynolds Jr.
- Guy Kibbee as Bishop Maxwell
- Margaret Tallichet as Gloria Pennington
- Catherine Doucet as Mrs. Pennington
- Walter Catlett as Doctor Harvey
- Charles Coleman as Roberts
- Leonard Elliott as Reverend Henry Stebbins
- Irving Bacon as Raven
- Gus Schilling as Raven
- Wade Boteler as Harry, the Newspaper Editor
- Dorothea Kent as Jackie Donovan
- Clara Blandick as Nurse
The film was originally known as Almost an Angel.
In his review in The New York Times, Bosley Crowther called the film "light and unpretentious fare" and "should please—as they say—both young and old. It's the perfect '8-to-80' picture." Crowther singled out the performances of Charles Laughton, who plays cupid, and Deanna Durbin. Crowther wrote:
Henry Koster, who directed the picture and has directed most of Miss Durbin's better films, certainly knew how to get the best out of Mr. Laughton, that man of great renown. For this is one of the sharpest performances the old boy has given in years ... Mr. Laughton plays with flavor, mischief, humor and great inventiveness. He knows how an old man would behave—and he never carries it too far. Under a perfect make-up, you'd hardly know it was Mr. Laughton—which is saying a lot.
Regarding Durbin's performance, Crowther wrote, "Miss Durbin is as refreshing and pretty as she has ever been and sings three assorted songs—including a Tchaikovsky waltz—with lively charm."
Awards and nominations
- "It Started with Eve". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved September 8, 2012.
- "Awards for It Started with Eve". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved September 8, 2012.
- "Full cast and crew for It Started with Eve". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved September 8, 2012.
- SCREEN NEWS HERE AND IN HOLLYWOOD: HENRY KOSTER WILL BE DIRECTOR OF 'ALMOST AN ANGEL' FOR THE UNIVERSAL STUDIO BENNY FILM HERE TUESDAY 'LOVE THY NEIGHBOR,' WITH FRED ALLEN, TO HAVE PREMIERE AT THE PARAMOUNT ROLE FOR LINDA DARNELL OF LOCAL ORIGIN By DOUGLAS W. CHURCHILL Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES.. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 12 Dec 1940: 37.
- Crowther, Bosley (October 3, 1941). "'It Started With Eve,' Featuring Durbin and Laughton". The New York Times. Retrieved September 8, 2012.