|Born||1982/1983 (age 35–36)|
|Alma mater||IIT Delhi|
|Occupation||Chairman & CEO, Flipkart|
|Known for||Co-founding Flipkart |
|Home town||Chandigarh, India|
|Net worth||$1.2 billion (August 2018)|
Binny Bansal (born 1982/1983) is an Indian billionaire Internet entrepreneur. In 2007 he co-founded the e-commerce platform Flipkart with Sachin Bansal (no relation) and was serving as the chief operating officer until 11 January 2016 and was promoted to chief executive officer (CEO). In January 2017 he was promoted to Group CEO of Flipkart. Binny is from Chandigarh and graduated from the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi with a degree in computer science and engineering.
Binny Bansal is originally from Chandigarh, the capital city of Punjab and Haryana. His business partner, Sachin Bansal, is also from Chandigarh. Although they share the same last name, they are not related. They both coincidentally, were students of computer science engineering at Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi. Bansal currently resides in Bangalore. His father is a retired chief manager at a bank and mother is in the government sector, has no siblings and is married to a homemaker.
Before co-founding Flipkart, Bansal was employed by Amazon for nine months, and before that was rejected by Google twice. Bansal and his business partner Sachin Bansal initially thought of starting a comparison search engine, but realized that the market for E-commerce in India was very small. Hence, after leaving Amazon in 2007, they founded Flipkart as an e-commerce company. Before joining Amazon, Binny worked with Sarnoff Corporation for a year and a half, where he developed a lane sensor device for cars which would warn you and beep automatically if you change lanes without giving a signal.
In 2016, Bansal became the CEO of Flipkart, where he worked on strategic development, direction and business management. In 2017, he assumed the role of CEO of Flipkart Group and his previous position was handed to Kalyan Krishnamurthy.
In 2018, Walmart acquired a 77% stake in Flipkart group. After the acquisition, Bansal assumed the role of chairman and continued as Group CEO. His 5.5% stake in Flipkart was valued at $1 billion after the acquisition.
Awards and recognition
- In September 2015, Bansal along with Sachin Bansal, was named the 86th richest person in India with a net worth of $1.3 billion by Forbes India Rich List.
- India Today ranked him #26th along with Sachin Bansal in India's 50 Most powerful people of 2017 list. see
- "Forbes profile: Binny Bansal". Forbes. Retrieved 29 August 2018.
- "Flipkart's other Bansal comes to the fore". LiveMint. 13 January 2016.
- Srikar Muthyala (29 September 2015). "The List Great Entrepreneurs of India in 2015". MyBTechLife. Archived from the original on 14 January 2016.
- "Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal: Book Smart".
- "Flipkart sales hit whopping $1 bn, Sachin and Binny Bansal 'run rate' stupendous".
- "Kalyan Krishnamurthy to take over as Flipkart CEO, Binny Bansal Group CEO - FactorDaily". factordaily.com. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "Flipkart success story revealed! Meet Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal".
- "What Flipkart's Funds Mean for its Rivals". Forbes India. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- "Binny Bansal". Retrieved 13 November 2015.
- "flipkart ceo wanted to be a gamer snapdeal chief a food and film critic". Retrieved 25 November 2015.
- "Before I got into Amazon, Google rejected me twice. But that did not stop me from starting Flipkart: Binny Bansal". Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- "Flipkart success story revealed! Meet Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal". Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- "Flipkart flips CEO post, Binny Bansal replaces Sachin Bansal". Livemint. 12 January 2016.
- "Flipkart appoints Kalyan Krishnamurthy as new CEO". The Hindu. 9 January 2017.
- "Walmart acquires Flipkart for $16 billion in world's largest ecommerce deal". Economic Times. 10 May 2018.
- "Is Binny Bansal saying bye to Flipkart in the Walmart sellout?". Factor Daily. 26 April 2018.
- "Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal's Flipkart journey: From Kart to Mart". The New Indian Express. 10 May 2018.
- "Forbes India rich list: Mukesh Ambani tops for 9th year, Flipkart's Bansals debut at 86th slot". Firstpost. 24 September 2015. Retrieved 24 September 2015.
- "India's 50 powerful people". India Today. 14 April 2017.
|This Indian business-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|