|Industry||Biotechnology, Life Science, Health|
|Founder||Frank Sculli, John Qualter|
|Headquarters||594 Broadway, New York City, United States of America|
BioDigital is a New York-based biomedical visualization company that is often referred to as being "Google Earth for the Human Body". BioDigital offers an interactive, 3D software platform that enables individuals and business to explore and visualize health information. Their flagship product, the BioDigital Human, is a "searchable, customizable map of the human body".
The BioDigital Human Platform has over a million users, including doctors, medical students, and yoga instructors. New York University School of Medicine has used the software to teach medical students about anatomy.
The company also offers a set of API’s that allow developers to use the company’s imaging technology.
The company was founded in 2002 on the premise that 3D technology could be leveraged to make medical topics more comprehensible, accessible, and compelling. In 2011, the company expanded their technology to reach the greater public, compiling all visualizations into a proprietary web-based virtual model of the human body, the BioDigital Human. The BioDigital Human was one of the early systems to leverage WebGL, which allows any supported browser to render 3D models in webpages without plugins.
Awards and recognition
The company also received an ON for Learning Award from Common Sense Media in March 2014.
BioDigital was honored as a Best Health Digital Resource by the Health Information Resource Center's Web Health Awards in June 2014.
BioDigital has partnered with the international charity Smile Train for the creation of a cleft lip and palate simulator. The simulator is an interactive teaching tool designed to train surgeons in developing countries on cleft lip and palate surgical repair. BioDigital and Smile Train received an award for Outstanding Achievement in Modeling & Simulation by the National Training Simulation Association in December 2013. The companies were selected to showcase the technology at the 2014 TEDMED Conference in Washington DC.
- Emerson, Rip."Google Earth Meets the Body: BioDigital Gets $4M To Bring Its 3-D, Virtual Anatomy & Health Platform To Every Browser" TechCrunch. Sep. 24, 2013
- Bilton, Ricardo. "BioDigital raises $4M to build the Google Earth for the human body" VentureBeat.Sep 25, 2013
- Cieplak-Mayr von Baldegg, Kasia Dissecting the BioDigital Human: A 3D Anatomy Lesson." The Atlantic. Apr. 5 2012
- Singer, Natasha. "The Virtual Anatomy, Ready for Dissection" The New York Times. Jan. 7, 2012.
- Pofeldt, Elaine. "3D Digital Model Of Human Body Attracts VC Funding". Forbes. Sep. 24, 2013.
- Bilton, Ricardo
- Darma, Stanley. "Medical Students to Wear 3D Glasses for Anatomy Class?". MedGadget. Jan 13, 2012
- Hernandez, Darlena. "A Digital Revolution for Studying Human Anatomy" Wired. Apr. 12, 2012
- Singer, Natasha.  "The Virtual Anatomy, Ready for Dissection" The New York Times. January 7, 2012.
- Empson, Rip. . "Google Earth Meets The Body: BioDigital Gets $4M To Bring Its 3-D, Virtual Anatomy & Health Platform To Every Browser." TechCrunch. September 24, 2013.
- Bilton, Ricardo.  "BioDigital raises $4M to build the Google Earth for the human body". September 25, 2013.
- BioDigital Maps the Human Body, Raises $4M. Pitchbook.Sep. 27, 2013
- TEDMED.  "Can medical school be a “Fantastic Voyage?”". 2012
- SXSW  "SXSW Interactive Reveals Winners of the 2013 Interactive Awards". 2013.
- Common Sense Media.  "ON for Learning Awards 2014 Award Winners.
- Health Information Resource Center.  "Web Health Awards".
- 2015 Edison Award Winners.
- Smile Train.  "Smile Train and BioDigital Inc wins award for Outstanding Achievement in Modeling & Simulation". (2013)
- Smile Train.  "Smile Train and BioDigital Selected to Showcase Virtual Surgery Simulator in The Hive at TEDMED 2014".