Blacka Di Danca
Blacka Di Danca
Blacka Di Danca on the Brooklyn bridge
|Born||Brooklyn, New York, U.S.|
|Occupation(s)||Choreographer, Dancer, Singer, Actor|
|Associated acts||Janet Jackson, Daddy Yankee, Nicky Jam, J Balvin, Farruko, Diplo, Major Lazer, Rihanna, A$AP Rocky, Collie Buddz, Kiesza, Shaggy, Kreesha Turner|
Blacka's talent has led to work with some of the top names in the music industry. He has choreographed and featured in music videos for Major Lazer, Rvssian, J Balvin, Farruko, Shenseea, Tyga, Janet Jackson, Nicky Jam, Anuel AA, Rihanna, Cardi B, El Alfa, Drake, A$AP Rocky, and Davido to name a few. He has also choreographed for Farruko and Luis Fonsi's world tours. As a live performer, he's spent years on the concert and festival circuit, making appearances with stars like Janet Jackson, Daddy Yankee, Farruko, Rihanna, Skrillex, Diplo, Kiesza, Nyla and Collie Buddz, with whom he toured for several years. Blacka is currently the first and only dancehall choreographer to partner with energy drink giant Red Bull.
Born and raised in Brooklyn, New York, Blacka grew up in a Caribbean household in Crown Heights. Dancehall, reggae, soca and calypso music has always been a part of his life. In 2003, he discovered the Passa Passa weekly Jamaican dancehall party held in Kingston, Jamaica. Local stores in Brooklyn in the early 2000s often sold and showcased Passa Passa DVDS. Blacka learned about the dancehall street culture through the eyes of the dancers and Deejays that frequented the parties. Passa Passa DVDs showcased the dance moves, fashion, music and terminology that came with dancehall street culture.
From 2003–2007, Blacka partied nightly in local clubs and street events through Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens, Manhattan and Staten Island because he make a name for himself. In early 2008, he was booked for the first time to perform professionally in Virginia as a dancer for a night party.
In November 2008, Blacka won his first Dancehall King competition and title during Binghamton University's annual Caribbean carnival. In December 2010, he competed in New York City's Dance-A-Rama dancehall competition and won his 2nd official title and trophy.
In 2011, Blacka left his full-time job as a doorman at Columbia University to further pursue his dreams. In March 2011, Blacka started his first tour as a performer with Reggae artist Collie Buddz. Blacka toured and performed with Collie for almost 2 years throughout the United States, Canada and Bermuda. During his fall tour of 2011, Blacka was contacted by Russian organizers and was offered his first overseas trip to Moscow on a contract to teach dancehall classes and judge a competition on Christmas Day. In early 2012, Blacka traveled to Moscow for his 2nd time and taught dancehall classes for one week. He continued touring with Collie Buddz until November 2012.
In February 2013, Blacka embarked on his first solo world tour as a choreographer, traveling to Los Angeles, Poland, Russia, Italy, Germany, London and Belgium. Since then, Blacka continues to travel overseas spreading dancehall culture.
In May 2018, Blacka released his first single "Bubble Up", starting the musical transition of his career. Since then, he consistently releases new music and visuals, including his most recent song "Di Sauce" featuring Walshy Fire of Major Lazer and producer Clayton William.
Spreading Dancehall Culture
Since 2013, Blacka has been on a total of 16 solo world tours in over 85 cities and 41 countries which includes: the United States, Poland, Russia, Siberia, Italy, France, Germany, Belgium, Sweden, Mexico, Spain, Finland, Norway, Lithuania, Romania, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Canada, Austria, Switzerland, Portugal, Argentina, Denmark, Colombia, United Kingdom, Brazil, Cyprus, Ecuador, Singapore, Romania, Puerto Rico, Netherlands, Norway, India, Trinidad, Chile, Bolivia, Costa Rica, Greece, Lebanon and Malaysia.
- XXXTentacion, Ky-Mani Marley, Stefflon Don, Vybz Kartel - "Royalty"
- Nicky Jam X Anuel AA - "Whine Up"
- Rvssian, J Balvin, Farruko - "Ponle"
- Shenseea ft. Tyga - "Blessed"
- El Alfa ft. Cardi B - "Mi Mami"
- Janet Jackson x Daddy Yankee - "Made For Now"
- Nicky Jam x J. Balvin - "X" (Equis)
- Hood Celebrityy - Walking Trophy
- Major Lazer - "Lose Yourself" ft. Moska and RDX
- Rihanna - "Work" ft. Drake
- A$AP Rocky - "Multiply" ft. Juicy J
- Alkaline - "City"
- Shaggy - "If U Slip, U Slide" ft. Melissa Musique 
- Binghamton University Carnival Dancehall King 2008
- NYC Dance-A-Rama Champion of Champions 2010
- 2019 Kidpreneur Awards for Philanthropy
- BET 2018 Experience
- The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon
- MTV 2016 VMAs
- Fuse TV "The Hustle After Party"
- CBS "The Early Show"
- New York Times
- The Source
- Jamaica Star (Jamaica)
- Jamaica Gleaner (Jamaica)
- El Colombiano
- O Gaiense (Portugal)
- La Provincia di Lecco (Italy)
- Vybiray (Siberia)
- "Blacka Di Danca". IMDb. Retrieved 2020-03-13.
- "DANCA OF DANCEHALL". KingstonToLA. Retrieved 2016-07-04.
- "Tundra Tun Up: Blacka Di Danca Brings Dancehall to Siberia". LargeUp. 2013-10-14. Retrieved 2016-07-04.
- "Blacka's World: Wining and Dining in Mexico City". LargeUp. 2013-10-22. Retrieved 2016-07-04.
- Xavier Murphy (blog). "Conversation with Dancehall Choreographer, Blacka Di Danca". Jamaica magazine website. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- "J'can dance moves featured in Janet Jackson's music video". jamaica-star.com. Retrieved 2018-10-18.
- "Nicky Jam & J Balvin Infuse Dancehall's Lively Spirit In New 'X (Equis)' Video - Fuse". www.fuse.tv. Retrieved 2018-10-18.
- "Blacka's World: How I Got To "Work Work Work Work Work" With Rihanna". LargeUp. 2016-02-22. Retrieved 2016-07-04.
- "Blacka's World: Pon De Tour with Major Lazer". LargeUp. 2013-11-25. Retrieved 2016-07-04.
- Burke, Siobhan (2015-09-17). "Review: Blacka Di Danca Shakes His Way Through Borough Hall". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2016-07-04.
- "Meet International Dancehall Choreographer Blacka Di Danca - Caribbean Entertainment Magazine". caribbeanemagazine.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2016-07-04.
- "American dancer urges colleagues to give Jamaican creators credit". jamaica-gleaner.com. Retrieved 2016-10-09.
- "Dancers' Paradise: Dancing can make you money". jamaica-star.com. Retrieved 2016-10-09.
- "Local dancer becomes international choreographer".
- "Dancehall Dreams with Blacka Di Danca".
- "A tour de force: Blacka Di Danca brings dancehall to Europe".
- Blacka Di Danca (2015-12-11), Follow Your Dreams - Interview with Blacka Di Danca, retrieved 2016-07-05
- Ja, dance (2013-10-16). "Blacka Workshop in Russia". Retrieved 2016-07-05.
- "Blacka's World: Bringing Dancehall to the Siberian Dance Vertex". LargeUp. 2014-12-05. Retrieved 2016-07-05.
- "Blacka's World Archives - LargeUp". LargeUp. Retrieved 2016-07-05.
- "Blacka Di Danca Gets Jamaican Love".
- "Announcing a New Partnership Between Blacka Di Danca, Red Bull + LargeUp".
- "Dancers' Paradise: Red Bull signs Blacka Di Danca".
- "Dancehall Dancer Blacka Named Red Bull Ambassador". Archived from the original on 2016-11-05.
- "Dancers' Paradise : Red Bull takes Blacka Di Danca to Harvard". jamaica-star.com. Retrieved 2017-09-17.
- "Blacka's World: Blacka Loses Himself + Teaches The World". LargeUp. 2014-03-03. Retrieved 2016-07-05.