|EP by Nirvana|
|Producer||Jack Endino, Steve Fisk|
|Nirvana singles chronology|
"Blew" was written in 1988 by Nirvana front man Kurt Cobain. The song was recorded in December 1988 and initially appeared as the first track on Nirvana's 1989 debut album Bleach. Blew remained one of the only songs from the Bleach era that remained on Nirvana's live setlist throughout their entire performance history. Even on the band's final show on March 1st, 1994 in Munich, Germany, it was performed during the encore, giving it the distinction of being the second to last song ever performed by the band. In addition to the song "Blew", the release also includes "Love Buzz". This mix of "Love Buzz" is the Bleach version, as opposed to the 7" Sub Pop Singles version mix. The version of "Been a Son" that was recorded for the EP is hailed as the "definitive take" of that song as it encompasses Nirvana's thrashing signature sound as well as Krist Novoselic's bass guitar solo being much more pronounced in the mix. "Stain" features both dual vocal and dual guitar tracks.
Blew was released in December 1989 on Tupelo Records on 12" vinyl and compact disc. The extended play was originally intended to be released to promote an upcoming European tour, but this plan was scrapped, and the maxi-single ended up being released exclusively in the UK shortly after its completion.
As Blew was released only in the UK it was difficult to obtain elsewhere. Only 3,000 copies of the maxi-single were pressed on 12" vinyl and CD. Both vinyl and CD counterfeit copies exist, of which the vinyl copies vary in colour (the official 12" vinyl was only pressed on black vinyl).
All tracks written by Kurt Cobain, except where noted.
|2.||"Love Buzz" (Shocking Blue cover)||Robbie van Leeuwen||3:36|
|3.||"Been a Son"||2:22|
- "Blew" and "Love Buzz" were previously released on Bleach.
- "Been a Son" was later released on the "best-of" compilation Nirvana and a different version appears on Incesticide.
- "Stain" was later released on Incesticide.
- A live version performed at the Paradiso Club in Amsterdam, Holland in 1991 was released on the live album From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah in 1996.
- Video footage the aforementioned 1991 performance in Amsterdam later appeared on the Nirvana DVD re-release of Live! Tonight! Sold Out!! in 2006.
- A live performance of the song, from the 1992 Reading Festival, was released on the Live at Reading CD and DVD release in 2009.
- Another live performance, recorded February 9, 1990 at The Pine Street Theatre in Portland, Oregon, appears, with the rest of the concert, as the last track on the 20th anniversary deluxe reissue of Nirvana's 1989 debut album Bleach in 2009.
- Another live performance is featured on the video Live at the Paramount, released in 2011.
- Jack Endino – production for "Blew" and "Love Buzz"
- Steve Fisk – production for "Stain" and "Been a Son"
- Japanese musician Miyavi has covered the song.
- American pop-punk band The Ergs! covered the song on their Blue EP.
- Northern Irish alternative rock band Ash covered the song, releasing it on their Numbskull EP in 1999.
- Istanbul rock band Direc-t's singer Bilge Kosebalaban has covered the song.