Bob Stewart (musician)
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Stewart playing in New York City
February 3, 1945 |
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, U.S.
Bob Stewart (born February 3, 1945 in Sioux Falls, South Dakota), is an American jazz tuba player. He received his Bachelor of Music Education degree from the Philadelphia College of the Performing Arts and his Masters in Education from Lehman College Graduate School. Stewart taught music in Pennsylvania public schools and at the Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts in New York City. He is now a professor at the Juilliard School and is a "Distinguished Lecturer" at Lehman College.
Stewart has toured and recorded with such artists as Charles Mingus, Gil Evans, Carla Bley, Muhal Richard Abrams, David Murray, Taj Mahal, Dizzy Gillespie, McCoy Tyner, Arthur Blythe, Freddie Hubbard, Don Cherry, Nicholas Payton, Wynton Marsalis, Charlie Haden, Lester Bowie, Bill Frisell and many others in the United States, Europe, and the Far East.
- 1987: First Line (JMT)
- 1988: Goin' Home (JMT)
- 2000: Then & Now (Postcards) with Taj Majal, Carlos Ward, Steve Turre, and Graham Haynes
- 2008: Heavy Metal Duo: Work Songs and Other Spirituals
With Arthur Blythe
- Metamorphosis (1977)
- The Grip (1977)
- Bush Baby (1978)
- Lenox Avenue Breakdown (Columbia, 1979)
- Illusions (1980)
- Blythe Spirit (1981)
- Elaborations (1982)
- Light Blue: Arthur Blythe Plays Thelonious Monk (1983)
With Henry Butler
- The Village (1987, Impulse!)
With Uri Caine
- The Sidewalks of New York: Tin Pan Alley (Winter & Winter, 1999)
- The Goldberg Variations (Winter & Winter, 2000)
With Don Cherry
- Multikuti (A&M, 1990)
With Gil Evans
- There Comes a Time (RCA, 1975)
- Priestess (Antilles, 1977 )
- Gil Evans Live at the Royal Festival Hall London 1978 (RCA, 1979)
- Afro-Cuban Jazz Moods (Pablo, 1975)
With Chris Joris
- Songs For Mbizo (VKH Tonesetters, 1991 and Jazz Halo/Omnitone, 2002) – with 1976 recordings
With David Murray
- Live at Sweet Basil Volume 1 (Black Saint, 1984)
- Live at Sweet Basil Volume 2 (Black Saint, 1984)
- David Murray Big Band (DIW/Columbia, 1991)
With Charles Mingus
With Sam Rivers
- Crystals (Impulse! 1974)
With Herb Robertson
- Shades of Bud Powell (JMT, 1988)
- Wynn, Ron (1994). All Music Guide to Jazz. San Francisco: Miller Freeman. p. 602. ISBN 0-87930-308-5.
- "Bob Stewart" (Flash). JazzCorner. Retrieved 2008-06-01.
- Cook, Richard; Brian Morton (2006) . The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings. The Penguin Guide to Jazz (8th ed.). New York: Penguin. p. 139. ISBN 0-14-102327-9.
- * Astarita, Glenn (September 19, 2002). "Chris Joris: Songs For Mbizo (2002)". allaboutjazz.com. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
*"Chris Joris – Songs For Mbizo CD". CD Universe (CD seller). Retrieved 2013-08-08. [release 2002 details]
*"Chris Joris – Songs for Mbizo – CD album 1991" (in Dutch). Muziek Archief (Muziekcentrum Vlaanderen vzw). Retrieved 2013-08-08.