Born of Osiris
|Born of Osiris|
Born of Osiris live in Minnesota at Warped Tour 2012
|Origin||Palatine, Illinois, United States|
|Genres||Deathcore, progressive metal|
|Website||Born of Osiris on Facebook|
|Past members||Matt Pantelis
Born of Osiris is an American deathcore band, formed in 2003 in Palatine, a suburb of Chicago. The group underwent several name changes, including Diminished (2003–2004), Your Heart Engraved (2004–2006), and Rosecrance (2006–2007), before finally settling on Born of Osiris in 2007, basing the name on the Egyptian deity Osiris, and the tale of his son Horus.
The group is signed to Sumerian Records and has released four full lengths and one EP on the label. Their album, A Higher Place, reached number 73 on the Billboard 200. Their second full-length album, The Discovery, released March 22, 2011, debuted at 87 on the Billboard 200.
Born of Osiris has played at various festivals including the Summer Slaughter Tour (2008, 2009 and 2015) and the Music as a Weapon Tour 4. In 2009, they played on a co-headline tour named The Night of the Living Shred Tour with All Shall Perish, After the Burial, Caliban and Suffokate; Born of Osiris also supported Hatebreed on the Decimation of the Nation Tour 2, alongside Cannibal Corpse, Unearth and Hate Eternal. In December 2009, they asked Jason Richardson of All Shall Perish to join Born of Osiris. This began a two-year period of member stability which resulted in the writing and release of The Discovery.
September 2011, members Cameron Losch, Joe Buras, and Lee McKinney recorded and mixed the self-titled first release by Virginia band Mind's I.
On December 21, 2011, Born of Osiris fired guitarist Jason Richardson without prior notice. The official press release came three weeks later. Richardson immediately joined Salt Lake City deathcore act Chelsea Grin following his departure from the band. In response to the official statement released by the band, he wrote a scathing status update on his personal Facebook page, stating that the other band members frequently abused alcohol and prescription drugs. Richardson had served as a touring member within Chelsea Grin prior to him being kicked from Born of Osiris.
A video was posted showing guitarist Lee Mckinney rehearsing over a riff, which is believed to be part of a song which will feature on the next Born of Osiris release. He also had an eight string guitar built for him by the UK based company Invictus Guitars, suggesting another direction that the next release will take.
Following this, McKinney started a side project called Mechanize (originally named Mecha but the name had to be changed for legal reasons), in which he produces original electronic music and remixes other artists. David Darocha has also started his own jewelry line called D A V I. Cameron Losch, Lee McKinney and former guitarist Jason Richardson are all instructors on the music teaching website Bandhappy, which is owned by Matt Halpern, the drummer of Born of Osiris's labelmate Periphery.
On June 25, 2013, the Sumerian Records YouTube page uploaded a new Born of Osiris song entitled "M∆chine" as well as a new album titled Tomorrow We Die ∆live, which was released August 20, 2013. They toured across North America on the 2013 Rockstar Mayhem Festival. Born of Osiris also supported Asking Alexandria on their Breakdown the Walls Tour alongside August Burns Red, Crown the Empire and We Came as Romans. The band also played on the Monster Energy Stage for the 2014 Vans Warped Tour and they did a headliner in October 2014 to support Tomorrow We Die ∆live. Within the Ruins, ERRA, Betraying the Martyrs and Thy Art is Murder all supported the band. The band also opened up for The Devil Wears Prada with The Word Alive and Secrets joining as support in the Spring of 2015. The Summer of 2015 saw the band open up for Arch Enemy on the 2015 annual Summer Slaughter tour. In September 2015 the band went to Russia to support Emmure on a small tour.
The new album, Soul Sphere was released on October 23, 2015. In February 2016, The band was the headliner for the Sumerian Records Ten Year Tour. Veil of Maya, After the Burial, ERRA and Bad Omens joined them on the lineup. A second leg of the tour started in May with Upon a Burning Body being added to the lineup, replacing Veil of Maya. The band will play in Europe this September with Veil of Maya as a co-headliner with Volumes and Black Crown Initiate joining as support.
On February 24th, 2017, the band released their second EP, entitled The Eternal Reign, which is a revised, rerecorded version of their first studio album, The New Reign.
Born of Osiris's musical style has been described as deathcore, technical death metal and progressive metal. The band cites Meshuggah, Cannibal Corpse, Converge, Hatebreed, Slayer, and The Mars Volta as influences.
Past touring musicians
|Born of Osiris discography|
|Year||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|2009||A Higher Place||73||8||27||10|
|2013||Tomorrow We Die ∆live
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
- Your Heart Engraved These Messages (2003) (recorded while known as Diminished)
- Youm Wara Youm (2004) (recorded while known as Your Heart Engraved)
- Rosecrance (2006) (recorded while known as Rosecrance)
- The New Reign (2007)
- The Eternal Reign (2017)
- Pre-Prod Demo (2006)
- Narnia (2007) (single song demo which eventually became "The Takeover" featured on the band's The New Reign EP)
- Pre-Prod Demo (2008) (4-track demo of instrumentals from A Higher Place)
|2008||The New Reign||"Open Arms to Damnation"||Ori Kairy|
|2010||A Higher Place||"Now Arise"||David Brodsky|
|2011||The Discovery||"Recreate"||Andrew Pulaski|
|2012||"Follow the Signs"|
|2013||Tomorrow We Die ∆live||"M∆chine"||N/A|
|2015||Soul Sphere||"Illuminate"||Ramon Boutviseth|
|2016||"The Other Half of Me"|
|2017||The Eternal Reign||Empires Erased||Sam Leabo|
- BORN OF OSIRIS. MusicMight. Retrieved 2009-07-27.
- Billboard.com A Higher Place - Born of Osiris. Billboard.com. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- BORN OF OSIRIS: 'The Discovery' First-Week Sales Revealed - Mar. 30, 2011. Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- All Shall Perish to Headline the 'Night of The Living Shred Tour 2009' with Born of Osiris. SMN News. Retrieved 2012-01-06
- Decimation of the Nation 2 - Tour Dates. Metal Call Out. Retrieved 2012-01-06.
- Born Of Osiris Part With Guitarist Jason Richardson. GunShyAssassin.com. Retrieved 2012-01-12.
- Born Of Osiris Part Ways With Guitarist Jason Richardson. The PRP.com. Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- "Just to clarify to everyone I did NOT... - Jason Richardson". Facebook. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "Mechanize". Facebook. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "D A V I". Daviddarocha.com. Archived from the original on 2013-12-08. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "Born Of Osiris Influences". Inflooenz. Retrieved 2013-11-28.
- "Born of Osiris – Chart History: Billboard 200". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved May 24, 2014.
- "Born of Osiris – Chart History: Independent Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved May 24, 2014.
- "Born of Osiris – Chart History: Top Rock Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved May 24, 2014.
- "Born of Osiris – Chart History: Hard Rock Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved May 24, 2014.
- "Born of Osiris to release 'The Eternal Reign', stream new song 'Glorious Day'". axs.com. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- "The Eternal Reign - Born of Osiris - Songs, Reviews, Credits - AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 28 January 2017.