Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf
|Grade I race|
|Location||United States, United States|
|Race type||Thoroughbred - Flat racing|
|Website||Official Breeders' Cup website|
|Distance||One mile (8 furlongs)|
The Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf is an American Thoroughbred horse race for two-year-old horses, run on a grass course at a distance of one mile. It is part of the Breeders' Cup World Championships, the de facto year-end championship for North American thoroughbred racing. All Breeders' Cups to date have been conducted in the United States, with the exception of the 1996 event in Canada.
The race was run for the first time in 2007 during the first day of the expanded Breeders' Cup at host track, Monmouth Park Racetrack in Oceanport, New Jersey. The race received Grade II status in 2009. The American Graded Stakes Committee further upgraded the race to Grade I status for 2011.
Beginning in 2007, the Breeders' Cup developed "The Breeders' Cup Challenge," a series of races in each division that allotted automatic qualifying bids to winners of defined races. Each of the thirteen divisions has between two and twelve of these "Win and You're In" qualifying races.
In the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf division, runners are limited to 14, with up to five automatic berths. Note though that one horse may win multiple challenge races, while other challenge winners will not be entered in the Breeders' Cup for a variety of reasons such as injury or travel considerations.
The 2019 "Win and You're In" races are:
- the Juvenile Stakes, a Group 3 race run in September at Leopardstown Racecourse in Dublin, Ireland
- the Summer Stakes, a Grade 3 race run in September at Woodbine Racetrack in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- the Royal Lodge Stakes, a Group 2 race run in Septem1ber at Rowley Mile in Newmarket, England
- the Bourbon Stakes, a Grade 3 race run in October at Keeneland Race Course in Lexington, Kentucky
- the Prix Jean-Luc Lagardere, a Group 1 race at Longchamp Racecourse in Paris, France
Most wins by a jockey:
- 4 - Ryan Moore (2011, 2012, 2015, 2017)
Most wins by a trainer:
- 4 - Aidan O'Brien (2011, 2012, 2015, 2017)
Most wins by an owner:
- Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf "top three finishers" and starters
- Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships
- American Thoroughbred Racing top Attended Events
- Seven Additional Graded Stakes in 2009
- Thirteen Fewer Graded Stakes in 2011
- "Breeders' Cup Announces Challenge Series Schedule". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 23 June 2019.