|Born||Lombard, Illinois, United States|
Brett Novak is an American filmmaker and director, best known for his short skateboard related films; particularly his collaborations with Spanish professional skateboarder Kilian Martin.
Upon moving to Los Angeles in 2008, Novak started work in the Visual Effects industry working on music videos for artists such as Beyonce, Lil Wayne, Britney Spears and Lady Gaga. He would go on to incorporate his Visual Effects experience into his later independent skateboard work.
Collaborations with Kilian Martin
Brett Novak and Kilian Martin met in 2009  competing against each other in a California freestyle-skateboarding contest. Their first video collaboration entitled "Kilian Martin: Freestyle Skateboarding", filmed in November 2009 in Los Angeles, California, prominently featured Martin's freestyle roots as a skateboarder and was met with moderate online success. Their follow up project, "Kilian Martin: a Skate Escalation" , this time focusing on Martin's street-skateboarding abilities, quickly went viral (3,390,000 views as of March 2016) pushing the two to continue creating newer projects together. As of March 2016, they have completed 8 short films together.
Concrete Circus / A Skate Illustration
In 2011, Brett and Kilian starred alongside professional trials cyclist Danny MacAskill in the Channel 4 English Documentary "Concrete Circus". The film featured the two on their journey around the United Kingdom while they filmed their fourth short film together, "Kilian Martin: a Skate Illustration" .
In 2012, Novak and Martin were approached by Mercedes-Benz to collaborate on what would become their fifth project together, "Kilian Martin: Altered Route" . Filmed in the now defunct California Lake Dolores Waterpark, the video features Martin skateboarding the abandoned ruins of the once thriving park. As of March 2016 the video has seen over 2 million views on YouTube.
Last Call with Carson Daly
In 2014 Novak was commissioned by The Halsey Institute of Contemporary Art to direct a documentary into the life and work of artist Shepard Fairey. The video, entitled "Obey This Film", follows Shepard through the development of an exhibition, as well as his outdoor mural process.
- Gire, Jamie Sotonoff and Dann (2013-03-26). "Lombard filmmaker turned to skateboarding world". Daily Herald. Retrieved 2016-03-12.
- "Brett Novak: Video/Design Extraordinaire". Full Sail. Retrieved 2016-03-12.
- "Behind the Lens: Brett Novak Makes the Most Beautiful Skateboard Videos You'll Ever See | NOISEY". NOISEY. Retrieved 2016-03-12.
- "Searching Sirocco - Kilian Martin's Artistic Skateboarding -". blog.driftingthru.com. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- "Kilian Martin Street Freestyle Skateboard Rider » Blog Archive » Kilian Martin Interview Late 2010". www.kilianmartin.net. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- Christie, Mike (2011-08-15), Concrete Circus, retrieved 2016-03-11
- "Brett Novak: Re-imagining Skateboarding Videos". vaffanculomag.com. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- "A skate revolution". www.mercedes-benz.com. Retrieved 2016-03-12.
- "Kilian Martin and Brett Novak". NBC. Retrieved 2016-03-12.
- "Deftones Premiere New Music Video, "Romantic Dreams" - Hard Rock & Heavy Metal News | Music Videos |Golden Gods Awards | revolvermag.com". www.revolvermag.com. Retrieved 2016-03-12.
- "Shepard Fairey by Brett Novak – The Halsey Institute of Contemporary Art". halsey.cofc.edu. Retrieved 2016-03-12.
- "Power & Glory - Obey Giant". Obey Giant. Retrieved 2016-03-12.