|Full name||Daniel MacAskill|
23 December 1985 |
|Height||1.76 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Current team||Inspired Bicycles|
|Rider type||Street Trials|
Daniel "Danny" MacAskill is a Scottish trials cyclist, from Dunvegan on the Isle of Skye. He works professionally as a street trials pro rider for Inspired Bicycles Ltd. He released April 2009, a five-and-a-half-minute street trials video, filmed by his flatmate Dave Sowerby, on YouTube on 19 April 2009 to popular acclaim and widespread media attention. The video features stunts performed by MacAskill set to "The Funeral" by Band of Horses.
As of April 2009, MacAskill had been practising several hours per day for more than 12 years. He gave up his job as a mechanic so he could ride full-time and now lives in Glasgow. In June 2009, MacAskill appeared in the music video for Doves' single "Winter Hill".
In September 2009, MacAskill was the focus of TV advert filmed by The Leith Agency on behalf of Scottish jobs website s1jobs.com.
On 16 November 2010 MacAskill released a new video Way Back Home produced by Red Bull Media House. The video showcases locations around Scotland including Edinburgh Castle, North Berwick, wartime bunkers on the island of Inchgarvie beneath the Forth Bridge and the Cruachan Dam in the Scottish Highlands. In May 2011 Leica Camera released a Go Play promotional video featuring him doing tricks in the city of Cape Town. In August 9, 2011 Cut Media released a video named Industrial Revolutions directed by Stu Thomson. The video, set to "The Wolves" by Ben Howard, features MacAskill doing tricks in an abandoned Scottish iron works. It was created for Channel 4's documentary Concrete Circus.
In 2011 MacAskill, along with Inspired Bicycles, released his signature trials frame, the "Inspired Skye".
In summer 2013, MacAskill published a trial biking project on YouTube called Imaginate which had been shot over 18 months produced by Red Bull Media House and directed by Stu Thomson. In fewer than three weeks, the video had received over 4 million views.
In May 2014, MacAskill released another video through Red Bull Media House called Epecuen, which was shot on location in Epecuén, Argentina. The town has been submerged underwater since 1985 for most of the time, and the video opens with its only resident speaking about it. As of April 2016, the video has accumulated over 10 million views.
In October 2014, MacAskill and long term collaborator Stu Thomson of Cut Media released a film titled The Ridge. It was filmed on his home island, the Isle of Skye, along the steep and rocky Cuillin Ridge. In the first 5 days, the video on YouTube garnered over 10 million views. The film was accompanied by a BBC Scotland programme Riding the Ridge that documented Danny and the Cut Media crew as they created the viral film.
Cascadia, also produced by Cut Media, appeared in November 2015.
|April 2009||Inspired Bicycles - Danny MacAskill April 2009|
|June 2009||Winter Hill||music video for the single by Doves|
|November 2010||Way Back Home||Scotland|
|August 2011||Industrial Revolutions||Scotland|
|August 2011||POC Bike Excursion||Sweden||with Daniel Dhers and Martin Söderström|
|October 2012||Danny MacAskill Takes To The Track With Sir Chris Hoy||Glasgow|
|June 2013||Imaginate||Old Glasgow Transport Museum|
|August 2013||Danny MacAskill in Taiwan||Taichung, Taiwan|
|May 2014||Epecuen||Epecuén, Argentina|
|July 2014||Danny MacAskill at the Playboy Mansion|
|October 2014||The Ridge||Cuillin ridge, Skye|
|November 2015||This is Drop and Roll|
|December 2015||Cascadia||Gran Canaria|
|May 2016||Aviemore Spring||Aviemore|
|October 2016||Wee Day Out||Scotland||Riding a mountain bike. Soundtrack: "National Express" by The Divine Comedy.|
- "Danny MacAskill". Inspired Bicycles. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "Stunt video reaches new heights". BBC News. 21 April 2009. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- MacDonald, Stuart (17 May 2009). "Danny MacAskill turns his back on fame". London: The Times. Retrieved 12 June 2009.
- Danny MacAskill - s1jobs.com
- "Danny MacAskill's Way Back Home Video". Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "Danny Macaskill - Industrial Revolutions Video". Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "Inspired Skye". Inspired Bicycles. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "Danny Macaskill Stunt Doubles for Premium Rush". Red Bull. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "Danny Macaskill - Profile". Rasoulution. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "Danny Macaskill - Legal Notice". dannymacaskill.co.uk. Archived from the original on 30 May 2013. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- Danny MacAskill in Taiwan - powered by Lezyne
- "MacAskill's Imaginate". Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- "Danny MacAskill's Imaginate". 19 June 2013. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- "Danny MacAskill Epecuen". Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- "Danny Macaskill: The Ridge". YouTube. Cut Media. 2 October 2014. Retrieved 25 December 2014.
- Merrill, Jamie (2 October 2014). "Video: Thrill-seeker Danny MacAskill takes death-defying ride along the 992-metre drop of The Cuillin Ridge". The Independent. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- Rachel Verity (2016-10-10). "Watch Danny MacAskill's Wee Day Out". Red Bull. Retrieved 2016-10-16.