Brighton Township, Lorain County, Ohio
|Brighton Township, Lorain County, Ohio|
Township hall at Brighton Center
Location of Brighton Township in Lorain County
|• Total||16.2 sq mi (41.9 km2)|
|• Land||16.2 sq mi (41.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||892 ft (272 m)|
|• Density||58.3/sq mi (22.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086502|
Located in southwestern Lorain County, it borders the following townships:
- Camden Township - north
- Pittsfield Township - northeast corner
- Wellington Township - east
- Huntington Township - southeast corner
- Rochester Township - south
- New London Township, Huron County - southwest corner
- Clarksfield Township, Huron County - west
No municipalities are located in Brighton Township.
Name and history
It is the only Brighton Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Lorain County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 14 May 2007.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.