Brixton tube station
Location of Brixton in Greater London
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|1971||Opened (Victoria line)|
|Lists of stations|
|London Transport portalCoordinates:|
Brixton is a London Underground station on Brixton Road in the Brixton district of the London Borough of Lambeth, South London. The station is the southern terminus of the Victoria line. The station was opened on 23 July 1971 by the London Transport Executive. It has high usage for an inner suburban station with 27.2 million entries and exits during 2013.
The station today
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (February 2015)|
From the ticket hall, three escalators take passengers to and from the platforms. There are also passenger lifts between street level, the ticket hall and the platforms to provide step free access.
The station is laid out as a two-track terminus with a scissors crossover north of the station, and the line continues for a short distance south of the station platforms to form a pair of sidings. These are used for the overnight stabling of a pair of trains, which then form the mornings' first two northbound services.
There has been speculation regarding the possibility of extending the Victoria line past Brixton and putting in a loop that trains would run around with a single-platform station under Herne Hill railway station. Arguably this would speed up operations on the Victoria line by reducing the number of conflicting train movements at the scissors crossover. However, as the Victoria line is already very heavily loaded and would likely not cope well with any extra passengers, such considerations may well prevent such a plan going any further.
As part of a framework agreement with London Underground, Chetwoods were engaged to carry out an extensive refurbishment of the passenger areas of Brixton Underground Station. This included an overall redesign of the station’s external façade and entrance lobby, together with refurbishment of a number of smaller retail outlets and the ticket office. The scheme developed the Practice’s expertise in the particular technical and design requirements of underground facilities, benefitting the design approach to projects for other clients such as Network Rail. The refurbishment started in 2001, and was completed in 2010. The station was briefly closed for asbestos removal in 2006. The refurbishment works were a long drawn out process. New panels and lighting have been installed in the escalator shaft.
The station is in Brixton Road and is about 100 m from Brixton railway station (on the London Victoria to Orpington line, operated by South Eastern). Although the route of London Overground also runs close to Brixton tube station, there is no station in Brixton on this route because the Inner South London Line is on high railway arches, and Overground trains pass overhead.
Services and connections
Train frequencies vary throughout the day, but generally every 3–5 minutes between 05:55 and 00:18.
- "Step free Tube Guide" (PDF). Transport for London. Archived (PDF) from the original on 3 June 2015.
- "Avoiding Stairs Tube Guide" (PDF). Transport for London. December 2014. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- "Out of Station Interchanges" (MICROSOFT EXCEL). Transport for London. May 2010. Archived from the original on 2012-03-12.
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures" (XLS). London Underground station passenger usage data. Transport for London. June 2015. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- Transport for London (May 2015). Standard Tube Map (PDF) (Map). Not to scale. Transport for London. Archived (PDF) from the original on 1 June 2015.
- Brixton Underground Station Redevelopment
- "Station Refurbishment Summary" (PDF). London Underground Railway Society. July 2007. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- Google Maps - Brixton tube station
- "East London Line Extensions - Loughborough Junction". AlwaysTouchOut. 9 November 2006. Retrieved 3 November 2007.
- "ELLG response to the South London Route Utilisation Strategy" (PDF). Network Rail. 26 October 2007. Retrieved 19 December 2012.
- "Victoria line timetable: From Brixton Underground Station to Stockwell Underground Station". Transport for London. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- Brixton Station - Bus
- Brixton Water Lane - Bus
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|
towards Walthamstow Central