Brookhaven High School (Columbus, Ohio)
|Brookhaven High School|
|4077 Karl Road
Columbus, (Franklin County), Ohio 43224
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|School district||Columbus City Schools|
|Superintendent||Dr. Dan Good|
|Color(s)||Blue and Gold|
|Fight song||Drive On Bearcats|
|Athletics conference||Columbus City League|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Athletic Director||Mr. Reimsnider|
|Website||School Website (Wayback Machine)|
Brookhaven High School was a public high school located on the northeast side of Columbus, Ohio, United States. The school was a part of the Columbus City Schools system and opened in 1963. The list of notable alumni includes baseball player Paul O'Neill, football player Terry Glenn, basketball player Helen Darling, and Saint Charles Preparatory School principal Jim Lower.
The school colors were blue and gold and the school nickname was the Bearcats. Since 2004, the school had been participating in the Small schools movement. Brookhaven was divided into three small schools: Leadership, North Star, and Legacy. Plans for creating a middle school were announced many years before its closing but were never finalized.
After a decision made by the Columbus City Schools District, they announced that Brookhaven would be shut down by the end of the 2013-14 year due to declining population. With it, five elementary schools were closed as well. On May 29, 2014, Brookhaven closed its doors for the last time due to a failed levy. The building is now used by Columbus Global Academy.
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Football – 2004 
- Boys Basketball – 2002 
- Girls Basketball – 1996 
- Girls Track and Field – 1998 
- Paul O'Neill, Retired MLB right fielder; 5-time MLB All-Star
- Terry Glenn, Retired NFL wide receiver; Fred Biletnikoff Award winner, 2-time Pro Bowl selection
- Helen Darling, Guard for the San Antonio Silver Stars (WNBA)
- Jeff Cumberland, Tight end for the New York Jets (NFL)
- Marlon Kerner, Cornerback for the Buffalo Bills from 1995-98 (NFL)
- Alex Daniels, defensive lineman in the Arena Football League, member of the 2004 state championship football team.
- Dominic Jones, defensive back in the Arena Football League, member of the 2004 state championship football team.
- Jamelle Cornley, Forward Retired American Professional Basketball Player
- Jim Lower, Principal at Saint Charles Preparatory School
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Archived from the original on November 3, 2010. Retrieved February 17, 2010.
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on March 15, 2010. Retrieved February 17, 2010.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Football". Retrieved February 12, 2007.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball D1". Retrieved February 12, 2007.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved December 31, 2006.
- "Paul O'Neill Official Website". Retrieved June 17, 2012.
- "Terry Glenn: Dallas' stealth bomber". November 8, 2006. Archived from the original on January 2, 2011.
- "Penn State University Sports Profiles: Helen Darling". Retrieved June 17, 2012.
- "Fighting Illini bio". Archived from the original on March 4, 2012. Retrieved June 17, 2012.
- "FootballDatabase". Archived from the original on November 3, 2012. Retrieved August 9, 2013.