26 July 1971|
Adelaide, South Australia
Bruna Papandrea (born 26 July 1971) is an Australian film and television producer and the founder of production company Made Up Stories. Prior to Made Up Stories, Papandrea co-founded the production company Pacific Standard with Reese Witherspoon.
Papandrea was raised in Adelaide, South Australia, and moved to New York City in the 1990s after establishing a career in film production. She briefly returned to Australia to produce the 2000 film Better Than Sex, which was nominated for the AFI Award for Best Film, before moving to London in 2001. She served as a production executive at the film studio Mirage Enterprises and later returned to New York to work for GreeneStreet Films, a production company for independent films, as a creative director. At GreeneStreet she executive produced the 2006 romantic comedy Wedding Daze before joining another independent production company, Groundswell Productions, in Los Angeles in February 2006. There she was responsible for producing Smart People (2008), Milk (2008), The Marc Pease Experience (2009), and All Good Things (2010).
In 2011, Papandrea produced Warm Bodies, a zombie comedy film directed by Jonathan Levine and released in 2013. In 2012, she and actress Reese Witherspoon co-founded Pacific Standard, a Beverly Hills-based production company focusing on creating films made by and about women. Their first two projects at Pacific Standard were Gone Girl and Wild, both adaptated from books whose rights were acquired by Papandrea and Witherspoon before publication. Both films were released in 2014, by which time they had also completed production on the 2015 comedy film Hot Pursuit. In 2016, they announced that they were ending their partnership, though they would continue to work on the projects that were in the middle of production, including the HBO series Big Little Lies and a film adaptation of the novel Luckiest Girl Alive.
In 2015 Papandrea received the Australians in Film International Award.
- Little Monsters (TBA)
- Deadlier Than The Male (TV)
- The Nightingale (TBA)
- Big Little Lies (TV)
- Hot Pursuit
- Gone Girl
- Warm Bodies
- Not Suitable For Children
- All Good Things
- The Marc Pease Experience
- Smart People
- Wedding Daze
- Better Than Sex
- "Bruna Papandrea". Focus Features. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- Goldberg, Matt (4 January 2013). "Producer Bruna Papandrea Talks Working with Director Jonathan Levine, Aiming for a PG-13 Rating, Zombie Sex, and More on the Set of WARM BODIES". Collider.com. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- Riley, Jenelle (7 October 2014). "Reese Witherspoon, Bruna Papandrea Push for Female-Driven Material With Pacific Standard". Variety. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- Kroll, Justin (1 September 2016). "Reese Witherspoon Parts Ways With Producing Partner Bruna Papandrea". Variety. Retrieved 16 March 2017.
- Lew, Janine (23 November 2014). "Reese Witherspoon Honors Bruna Papandrea at Lupus LA Luncheon". Variety. Retrieved 9 February 2015.