(E. Geoffroy in Humboldt, 1812)
The buffy-tufted marmoset (Callithrix aurita), also known as the buffy tufted-ear marmoset or white-eared marmoset, is a New World monkey that lives in the forests on the Atlantic coast of southeast Brazil. Of all the marmosets, it has the southernmost range.
The buffy-tufted marmoset resembles the common marmoset but is somewhat larger. It has grey-black skin, and the most obvious differences from the common marmoset are its whitish face ("skulllike facial mask" ), brown crown and shorter ear tufts.
The buffy-tufted marmoset lives in coastal forests from sea-level up to 500 m. It is diurnal and arboreal, living almost all its life in the trees. It lives in small groups of two to eight animals. Unlike most other marmosets, the buffy-tufted marmoset almost exclusively eats insects. It does not eat tree sap, which is why it has a very small snout. Aside from the insects the buffy-tufted marmoset consumes, this monkey also consumes varying types of flowering plants, such as Combretaceae and legumes, as well as gum, soursops and cacti. 
Little is known about the buffy-tufted marmoset reproductive patterns. Gestation is approximately 170 days and births are typically of twin offspring.
- Groves, C.P. (2005). Wilson, D.E.; Reeder, D.M. (eds.). Mammal Species of the World: A Taxonomic and Geographic Reference (3rd ed.). Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. p. 130. ISBN 0-801-88221-4. OCLC 62265494.
- Rylands AB & Mittermeier RA (2009). "The Diversity of the New World Primates (Platyrrhini)". In Garber PA, Estrada A, Bicca-Marques JC, Heymann EW & Strier KB (eds.). South American Primates: Comparative Perspectives in the Study of Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation. Springer. pp. 23–54. ISBN 978-0-387-78704-6.
- Mittermeier, R. A. & Rylands, A. B. (2008). "Callithrix aurita". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2008. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 2 January 2009.
- Coimbra-Filho, A. F.; Mittermeier, R. A.; Rylands, A. B.; Mendes, S. L.; Kierulff, M. C. M.; Pinto, L. P. de S. (2006). "The Taxonomic Status of Wied's Black-tufted-ear Marmoset, Callithrix kuhlii (Callitrichidae, Primates)". Primate Conservation. 21: 1–24.
- Martins, M.M. & Setz, E.Z.F. International Journal of Primatology (2000) 21: 467. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1005491903220
|Wikispecies has information related to Buffy-tufted marmoset|