Cabeza de Vaca (film)
|Cabeza de Vaca|
|Directed by||Nicolás Echevarría|
|Written by||Guillermo Sheridan Nicolás Echevarría
Alvar Nunez Cabeza de Vaca
|Edited by||Rafael Castanedo|
Cabeza de Vaca is a 1991 Mexican film about the adventures of Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca (c. 1490 – c. 1557), an early Spanish explorer, as he traversed what later became the American Southeast. He was one of four survivors of the Narvaez expedition and shipwreck. He became known as a shaman among the Native American tribes he encountered, which helped him survive. His journey of a number of years began in 1528. After his return to Spain, he published his journal in 1542. The screenplay by Guillermo Sheridan and Nicolás Echevarría is based on this journal.
Directed by Nicolás Echevarría and starring Juan Diego, the film was entered into the 41st Berlin International Film Festival. The film was selected as the Mexican entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 63rd Academy Awards, but was not accepted as a nominee.
A DVD version was released in 2012.
- Juan Diego as Alvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca
- Daniel Giménez Cacho as Dorantes
- Roberto Sosa as Cascabel / Araino
- Carlos Castañón as Castillo
- Gerardo Villarreal as Estebanico
- Roberto Cobo as Lozoya (as Roberto 'Calambres' Cobo)
- José Flores as Malacosa
- Eli 'Chupadera' Machuca as Sorcerer
- Farnesio de Bernal as Fray Suárez
- Josefina Echánove as Anciana Avavar
- Max Kerlow as Man in Armor
- Óscar Yoldi as Esquivel
- Beau Melanson as Pánfilo de Narváez
- List of submissions to the 63rd Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Mexican submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- "Berlinale: 1991 Programme". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2011-03-21.
- Margaret Herrick Library, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
|This article related to a Mexican film of the 1990s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a biographical film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|