California State and Consumer Services Agency
|Dissolved||July 1, 2013|
The California State and Consumer Services Agency (SCSA) was a state cabinet-level agency of the executive branch of California. It was replaced by the California Business, Consumer Services and Housing Agency (BCSH) effective July 1, 2013.
The entities under SCSA were "responsible for civil rights enforcement, consumer protection and the licensing of 2.4 million Californians in more than 255 different professions," and perform "procurement of nearly $9 billion worth of goods and services, the management and development of state real estate, oversight of two state employee pension funds, collecting state taxes, hiring of state employees, providing information technology services, adopting state building standards and the administration of two state museums." As of 2008-2009, SCSA's entities had over 16,000 employees and a budget of almost $27 billion. The Secretary of the State and Consumer Services Agency served as the Chair of the California Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board.
The SCSA included the following departments, boards, commissions and museums:
- California African American Museum (CAAM)
- Building Standards Commission (BSC)
- California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS)
- California Science Center (CSC)
- California State Teachers' Retirement System (CalSTRS)
- Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA)
- Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH)
- Department of General Services (DGS)
- Department of Technology Services (DTS)
- Exposition Park
- Fair Employment and Housing Commission (FEHC)
- Franchise Tax Board (FTB)
- Office of Information Security and Privacy Protection (OISPP)
- Office of the Insurance Advisor (OIA)
- California Seismic Safety Commission|Seismic Safety Commission (SSC)
- State Personnel Board (SPB)
- Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board (VCGCB)
The notable accomplishments of SCSA included:
- In 2005, it completed a review of state-owned vehicles.
- In 2007, it co-sponsored a statewide "Green California Summit and Exposition."
- In 2008, it created Kids Corner, "a Web site designed to bring government closer to children."
- State of California, State and Consumer Services Agency. Welcome to SCSA. Retrieved November 1, 2008.
- California Department of Finance. Governor's Budget 2008-09. Enacted budget detail. State and Consumer Services. Retrieved November 1, 2008.
- California Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board. Meet Our Board Members. Retrieved May 11, 2011.
- State of California, State and Consumer Services Agency. About us. Retrieved November 1, 2008.
- Drucker, David M. State government missing 30,000 vehicles. Daily News of Los Angeles, August 9, 2005.
- Much to see, do and learn at Green California Summit. Times-Herald (Vallejo, CA), March 25, 2007.
- Garcia, Edwin. State creates corner on web for kids. San Jose Mercury News, March 4, 2008.