St Wilfrid's (C.of E.) parish church, Calverley
|Calverley shown within West Yorkshire|
|Population||22,594 (Ward. Calverley and Farsley. 2011)|
|OS grid reference|
|• London||170 mi (270 km) SSE|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
Calverley is a village in the City of Leeds metropolitan borough in West Yorkshire, England, on the A657 road, midway between Leeds city centre and Bradford. The population of Calverley in 2011 was 4,328. The appropriate City of Leeds ward was called Calverley and Farsley with a population at the 2011 Census of 22,594.
Calverley is a rural village with a medieval manor house, Calverley Old Hall which was home to the Calverley family. Houses in the village are mostly constructed of sandstone, darkened by the soot of the Industrial Revolution, though there are brick buildings to the south of the original village. The Anglican parish church St Wilfrid's has parts dating from the 11th or 12th century. The tower was added and increased in the 13th to 15th century. There is a Methodist church dating from 1872, beside Victoria Park, a recreation ground which is home to Calverley St Wilfrid's Cricket Club. Both churches are Grade II listed buildings. There are two golf courses to the south of the village, Woodhall Hills (established 1905) off Woodhall Road, and Calverley Golf Club off Woodhall Lane.
In 1604 the landowner, Walter Calverley, went insane and murdered some of his children in Calverley Hall. He refused to plead and was ordered to be pressed to death, a method used to try to force a confession. He died without confessing his crime in order to ensure that his estate was not taken from his remaining family.
- Alfred Blunt, former Bishop of Bradford, is buried in parish churchyard
- Frederick William Faber, priest, theologian and hymnographer
- Sir Percival Hartley Biochemist
- Charles Smith, cricketer
- http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.co.uk Census 2011 Output Areas E00058402-E00058405 and E00048441-E00058450
- "City of Leeds ward population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 26 February 2016.
- "Place: Calverley". Open Domesday. Retrieved 2 December 2015.
- Calverley Today David Weldrake (20 December 2007) Calverley Village History
- Calverley St Wilfrid's Cricket Club Archived 19 April 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- Claverley Today Faith
- The History of Calverley
- Calverley Parish past boundaries
Media related to Calverley, West Yorkshire at Wikimedia Commons