Cammell Laird Social Club
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for music. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Cammell Laird Social Club|
|Studio album by Half Man Half Biscuit|
|Released||23 September 2002|
|Recorded||Frog Studios, Warrington |
|Label||Probe Plus PROBE 52|
|Producer||Mark Walker (engineer)|
|Half Man Half Biscuit chronology|
- Stewart Mason, AllMusic: "Cammell Laird Social Club is proof that for all their supposed indolence, Half Man Half Biscuit remain one of the sharpest and most satisfying bands in the U.K. indie scene".
|1.||"The Light at the End of the Tunnel (Is the Light of an Oncoming Train)"||2:32|
|2.||"When the Evening Sun Goes Down"||3:32|
|3.||"San Antonio Foam Party"||3:25|
|4.||"Them's the Vagaries"||3:28|
|5.||"If I Had Possession over Pancake Day"||2:14|
|6.||"The Referee's Alphabet"||4:32|
|7.||"She's in Broadstairs"||3:38|
|10.||"27 Yards of Dental Floss"||2:36|
|11.||"Paradise Lost (You're the Reason Why)"||2:28|
|12.||"Thy Damnation Slumbereth Not"||6:23|
- The album title parodies those of the film and album Buena Vista Social Club, a 1999 project by Ry Cooder about a group of Cuban musicians
- Cammell Laird is a company located in Birkenhead, formerly a major shipbuilder.
- Cammell Laird Social Club is a working men's club located in Rock Ferry, near Birkenhead.
- "The Light at the End of the Tunnel (Is the Light of an Oncoming Train)" is a near-quotation from the poem "Since 1939" by the American poet Robert Lowell: "If we see light at the end of the tunnel, it's the light of an oncoming train".
- San Antonio is a town in Ibiza, Spain known for its clubbing scene.
- A foam party is a social event in which participants dance to music on a floor covered in several feet of foam.
- "If I Had Possession over Pancake Day" parodies the song "If I Had Possession over Judgment Day" by bluesman Robert Johnson.
- The title "She's in Broadstairs" parodies that of the 1983 song by "She's in Parties" by Bauhaus.
- Broadstairs is a quaint seaside resort near Ramsgate in Kent, England.
- Tyrol is a region of Austria.
- Paradise Lost is an epic poem by John Milton, published 1667.
- The title "Thy Damnation Slumbereth Not" is a quotation from Thomas Hardy's novel Tess of the d'Urbervilles; which is itself an adaptation of the Second Epistle of Peter at 2:3: "Their damnation slumbereth not".
- Stavanger is the fourth largest city in Norway.
- "Frog Recording Studios". Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- Mason, Stewart. Half Man Half Biscuit: Cammell Laird Social Club at AllMusic. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- Half Man Half Biscuit – Cammell Laird Social Club at Discogs
- "Cammell Lairds Sports And Social Club". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Robert Lowell (1917–1977)". The Guardian. 22 July 2008. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- "Robert Lowell, Jr., Additional Information". britannica.com. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- Hardy, Thomas (1891). Tess of the d'Urbervilles. Chapter 12. Retrieved 21 February 2015.