Canon EF 24–105mm lens
The EF 24–105mm f/4L IS USM lens is often compared to the other L series zoom of comparable range, the 24–70mm f/2.8L USM, losing one full stop but gaining image stabilization (IS) in return, stabilizing camera shake up to three stops. It also has rubber gaskets for moisture and dust protection, although weather sealing is only effective if the photographer uses a weather-resistant camera body. Some early production models of the EF 24–105mm f/4L IS USM lens had a flare problem (reportedly the first 10,000 batch) and Canon offered to repair them for free.
The EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM is a newer 'low cost' alternative to the EF 24–105mm f/4L IS USM. It has the same zoom range, but a non constant aperture range which is typical of many non-professional lenses. Both lenses have image stabilization (IS). The EF 24–105mm f/4L IS USM and IS II USM version use a ring type Ultrasonic motor, whereas the new EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM uses Canon's STM Stepper motor, which is quieter during video usage. The new EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM weighs slightly less (525 g / 18.52 oz versus 670 g / 23.6 oz) and costs roughly half the price of the EF 24–105mm f/4L IS USM. 
An improved version of the EF 24–105mm f/4L IS USM, the EF 24–105mm f/4L IS II USM, was announced on August 2016. It has e.g. a better Image Stabilizer and less disorientation. The EF 24–105mm f/4L IS II USM lens is available in kits packaged with the EOS 5D Mk IV
On a 1.6x APS-C camera body, this lens' field of view is equivalent to that of a 38–168mm lens on a 35mm film camera; this is a very useful range, covering most normal to medium-telephoto needs.
Specs EF 24–105L IS USM lens
- The lens includes sealing against dust and water, although it is not waterproof.
- It includes an 8-bladed curved diaphragm which remains nearly circular from f/4 to f/8.
- Like many Canon L-series lenses, it uses common 77mm filters.
- Characteristic of zoom lenses, it exhibits some barrel distortion at its shortest focal length.
- It contains a single Super-UD glass element (dark blue in diagram) and 3 aspherical lens elements (green in diagram).
|Attribute||f/4L IS USM||f/3.5-5.6 IS STM||f/4L IS II USM|
|Image stabilizer||Yes (3 stops)||Yes (4 stops)|
|Zoom Lock Lever||No||Yes|
|Construction||13 groups / 18 elements||13 groups / 17 elements||12 groups / 17 elements|
|# of diaphragm blades||8||7||10|
|Closest focusing distance||0.45 m (1.5 ft)||0.4 m (1.3 ft)||0.45 m (1.5 ft)|
|Horizontal viewing angle||74° - 19° 20′|
|Diagonal viewing angle||84° - 23° 20′|
|Vertical viewing angle||53° - 13°|
|Weight||670 g (24 oz)||525 g (18.5 oz)||795 g (28.0 oz)|
|Maximum diameter||83.5 mm / 3.3"||83.4 mm / 3.3"||83.5 mm / 3.3"|
|Length||107 mm / 4.2"||104 mm / 4.1"||118 mm / 4.7"|
|Release date||October 2005||September 2014||August 2016|
|Currently in production?||Yes|
- Canon Inc. "EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Standard Zoom". Retrieved 2014-09-15.
- Canon Inc. "EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Standard Zoom". Retrieved 2014-09-15.
- Canon Inc. "Canon EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM". Retrieved 2014-09-15.
- Canon Inc. "Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Standard-Zoom". Retrieved 2014-09-15.
- Canon Inc. "EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM". Retrieved 2016-08-16.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS USM.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Canon EF 24-105mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM.|