Carlos Garcia Palermo
In 1982, he beat then reigning World Chess Champion and number one player of the world, Anatoly Karpov at the prestigious international Clarin tournament, held in Mar del Plata (Jan Timman won). Garcia Palermo is the only Argentine player to have beat a reigning world champion under clasic time controls.
He took 2nd-3rd in Rubinstein Memorial at Polanica-Zdrój 1985. He won or shared first place at Bayamo 1983, Capablanca Memorial tournaments in Havana 1985, Havana 1986, and Camaguey 1987, Forli 1988, Canete 1994, La Plata 1998, and Faxinal 2002. In 2004 he took part in the FIDE World Championship, where he was knocked out in the first round by Ye Jiangchuan.
García Palermo represented Argentina in the World Team Chess Championship at Lucerne 1985, and played three times in the Chess Olympiad: for Argentina at Dubai 1986, and for Italy at Manila 1992, Turin 2006.
He was awarded the titles of International Master in 1981 and Grandmaster in 1985.
- Christian Sánchez. Fischer in Argentina (1970). Asociación Rosarina de Ajedrez. (Spanish)
-  game to replay at Chessgames.com
- Carlos García Palermo team chess record at OlimpBase.org
- Carlos Garcia Palermo rating card at FIDE
- Carlos Garcia Palermo player profile and games at Chessgames.com
- Carlos Garcia Palermo chess games at 365Chess.com
|This biographical article relating to an Italian chess figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article relating to an Argentine chess figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|