Chalker High School
Southington Township School
Chalker High School
|Location||OH 305, Southington, Ohio|
|NRHP reference #||10001214 (original)|
|Added to NRHP||February 4, 2011|
|Boundary increase||August 1, 2012|
Chalker High School is named for Newton Chalker, an attorney who was born in Southington in 1842. Chalker created an endowment for the high school when schools in the township agreed to consolidate smaller schools in a central location. The town agreed to consolidation, and the original campus was completed in 1907, consisting of the Chalker High School building and a smaller elementary school. Newton Chalker agreed to pay for Chalker High school, as long as the townspeople would pay for the elementary school building, which wasn't nearly as grand, totaling $6000 as compared to the Chalker Building's $20,000. The high school was constructed in the Neoclassical Revival architectural style, including fluted columns and a pedimented gable. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on February 4, 2011.
Chalker High School currently offers:
- Cross country
- Track and field
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
Beta club is the school's academic honors program that heavily emphasizes community service. Students must maintain a 3.0 GPA and fulfill 10 hours of community service to maintain membership. It is affiliated with the National Beta Club organization.
National Honor Society
Spanish club is for students who wish to further their studies in Hispanic culture through activities, such as making piñatas and decorating calveras. To maintain membership, students must be active in the club and have been enrolled in a Spanish class at some point.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "Weekly list of actions taken on properties: 7/30/12 through 8/03/12". National Park Service. August 10, 2012. Retrieved September 3, 2015.
- "About Us". Southington Local Schools. Retrieved 2015-03-13.
- "Marker #29-78 Southington Township Centralized School and Monument Park". Remarkable Ohio. Retrieved 2015-03-13.
- "List of Actions Taken on Properties: 1/31/11 Through 2/04/11". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2011-02-11. Retrieved 2015-03-13.
- "Athletics". Southington Local Schools. Retrieved 2019-03-19.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Softball". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- "Beta Club". Southington Local Schools. Retrieved 2019-03-19.
- "National Honor Society". Southington Local Schools. Retrieved 2019-03-19.
- "Spanish Club". Southington Local Schools. Retrieved 2019-03-19.
|This Trumbull County, Ohio school article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|