Charles Martel of Anjou
|Charles Martel of Anjou|
|titular King of Hungary|
Charles Martel of Anjou by Anton Boys
|Born||8 September 1271|
|Died||12 August 1295 (aged 23)|
|Spouse||Klementia of Habsburg|
|Issue||Charles I of Hungary|
Beatrix of Hungary
Clementia of Hungary
|House||House of Anjou-Sicily|
House of Anjou-Hungary (founder)
|Father||Charles II of Naples|
|Mother||Maria of Hungary|
Charles Martel (Hungarian: Martell Károly; 8 September 1271 – 12 August 1295) of the Angevin dynasty was the eldest son of king Charles II of Naples and Maria of Hungary, the daughter of King Stephen V of Hungary.
The 18-year-old Charles Martel was set up by Pope Nicholas IV and the ecclesiastical party as the titular King of Hungary (1290–1295) as successor of his maternal uncle, the childless Ladislaus IV of Hungary against whom the Pope had already earlier declared a crusade.
He never managed to govern the Kingdom of Hungary, where an agnate of the Árpád dynasty, his cousin Andrew III of Hungary ruled at that time. Charles Martel was, however, successful in asserting his claim in the Kingdom of Croatia, then in personal union with Hungary.
Charles Martel died of the plague in Naples. His son, Charles (or Charles Robert), later succeeded in winning the throne of Hungary.
They had three children:
- Charles I of Hungary (1288–1342), King of Hungary
- Beatrix (1290–1354, Grenoble), married on 25 May 1296 Jean II de La Tour du Pin, Dauphin du Viennois
- Clementia (February 1293 – 12 October 1328, Paris), married in Paris on 13 August 1315 Louis X of France
|Ancestors of Charles Martel of Anjou|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Charles Martel of Anjou.|
- John V.A. Fine Jr., The Late Medieval Balkans, (The University of Michigan Press, 1994), 207.
- John V.A. Fine Jr., The Late Medieval Balkans, 208-209.
- Theresa Earenfight, Queenship in Medieval Europe, (Palgrave Macmillan, 2013), 173.
- (in French) Coat of arms of the House of Anjou-Sicily on the French Wikipedia
- (in French) House of Anjou-Sicily on the French Wikipedia
Charles Martel of AnjouBorn: 8 September 1271 Died: 12 August 1295
|Titles in pretence|
|— TITULAR —
King of Hungary and Croatia
Title next held byCharles I
|This biographical article of a European noble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|