Charles Montagu (of Boughton)
Montagu was the son of Sir Edward Montagu of Boughton House and his wife Elizabeth Harington, daughter of James Harington of Exton, Rutland and Lucy Sidney. Among his brothers were Edward Montagu, 1st Baron Montagu of Boughton, ancestor of the Dukes of Montagu and the Dukes of Rutland ; Henry Montagu, 1st Earl of Manchester, ancestor of the Dukes of Manchester and Earls of Halifax and Sir Sidney Montagu, ancestor of the Earls of Sandwich. He was knighted at York or at Grimston Park on 18 April 1603.
Montagu married Mary Whitmore, daughter of William Whitmore (citizen and Haberdasher, died 1593), and had three daughters. His eldest daughter, Elizabeth Montagu (d. 1672), married Christopher Hatton, 1st Baron Hatton; another, Anne Montagu, married Dudley North, 4th Baron North.
- T.G. Smollett, 'A Genealogical Account of Montagu, Duke of Manchester', The British Magazine, or, Monthly Repository for Gentlemen & Ladies, Vol. II (James Payne, London 1761), pp. 576-83, at p. 579 (Google).
- W.A. Shaw, Knights of England, 2 vols (Sherratt and Hughes, London 1906), II, p. 101 (Hathi Trust).
- Henry Ellis, Original Letters, 1st series vol. 3 (London, 1824), p. 75.
- V.C.D. Moseley and R. Sgroi, 'Montagu, Sir Charles (1567-1625), of Lombard Street, London and Cranbrook, Barking, Essex', in A. Thrush and J.P. Ferris (eds), The History of Parliament: the House of Commons 1604-1629 (Cambridge University Press 2010), History of Parliament Online.
- Browne Willis, Notitia Parliamentaria, or, An History of the Counties, Cities, and Boroughs in England and Wales: ...The whole extracted from MSS and printed evidences (Author, London 1750), pp. 176-239 (Google).
- T. Cromwell, Excursions in the county of Essex, 2 vols (Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme and Brown, London 1818), II, p. 179 (Google).