Wessels performing at Rockharz Open Air 2015 in Ballenstedt/Germany.
|Birth name||Johanna Charlotte Wessels|
|Born||13 May 1987|
|Genres||Gothic metal, jazz, symphonic metal|
|Associated acts||Delain, To Elysium, Infernorama, Knight Area, Nemesea, Serenity, Sharon den Adel, Kamelot, Phantasma|
Johanna Charlotte Wessels (born 13 May 1987) is a Dutch singer-songwriter who was born in Zwolle, Netherlands. Best known as the lead vocalist for the Dutch symphonic metal band Delain. She is also in the symphonic rock musical group called Phantasma.
Wessels has been trained in both jazz singing and classical singing. She was first trained in jazz, but later her instructor suggested classical singing to her. However, Wessels has stated that she found classical training to be very restrictive, and so she likes to do something "in between the classical and the jazz stuff, and if you look at classical music with high vocal lines, then you kind of get to gothic very soon!"
She joined a gothic metal band named To Elysium around the age of fifteen or sixteen. She mentions in an interview that her parents had to sign a contract because she was still underage.
Wessels became involved with Delain in 2004 when she met Martijn Westerholt formerly of Within Temptation. Since the band was meant to be a studio project only, Westerholt asked if she could write some lyrics and vocalize which she thought it was going to be a one time thing. In 2005 they signed a deal with Roadrunner Records. She is the lead vocalist and primary lyricist of the band.
Wessels along with Georg Neuhauser from Serenity, and Oliver Philipps from Everon have created a symphonic rock musical called Phantasma. They got signed to Napalm Records and is a concept album of Neuhauser. Wessels is not only singing in the album but also wrote her debut novella called "The Deviant Hearts" especially for it. 
When asked in 2014 who her influences are, Wessels said
|“||My parents had quite good taste in music so I had some of the classic rock influences; Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Genesis, Led Zeppelin, and Kate Bush. My brother really got me into metal, those were really the high days of Metallica. Actually, Toxicity (2001) by System of a Down is still one of my favorite records ever. Right now, I am really into the alternative rock scene, Radiohead is my favorite band ever. I adore Muse and Nick Cave. Then there is the corner of the great female songwriters like Tori Amos, Björk, and Sia Furler. That pretty much covers it. I can go on for hours but I think these are the few directions which have influenced me most.||”|
She is a cousin of Dutch hardcore DJ DaY-már. When asked in a Loudwire interview who she gets inspired by vocally she mentions Australian singer Sia Furler. Wessels admires Sia's voice and also her song-writing. She's a fan of the horror film genre, which has inspired some of her songwriting. Wessels has an art history degree and also has a master's degree in gender studies. She is a vegetarian. She considers herself a feminist.
- Lucidity (2006)
- April Rain - (2009)
- We Are the Others - (2012)
- Interlude - (2013)
- The Human Contradiction - (2014)
- Moonbathers - (2016)
- "Frozen" - (2007)
- "See Me in Shadow" - (2007)
- "The Gathering" - (2008)
- "April Rain" - (2009)
- "Stay Forever" - (2009)
- "Smalltown Boy" - (2010)
- "Get the Devil Out of Me" - (2012)
- "We Are the Others" - (2012)
- "Are You Done With Me" - (2013)
- "Stardust" - (2014)
- "Suckerpunch" - (2016)
- The Deviant Hearts - (2015)
- "Embrace the Night" - DaY-már - (2006)
- "Serenade of Flames" - Serenity - (2010)
- "Please Come Home" - Knight Area - (2011)
- "High Enough" - Nemesea - (2011)
- "Under Grey Skies" - Kamelot - (2015)
- "Beautiful Apocalypse" - Kamelot - (2015)
- "Aquarium" - Dark Sarah - (2016)
- Delain Interview (Part 1) - YouTube
- "Interview Charlotte Wessels of Delain". Cryptic Rock. May 30, 2014. Retrieved June 12, 2015.
- "Facebook page". Retrieved June 5, 2015.
- Phantasma Feat. Delain, Serenity, Everon Members: 'Enter Dreamscape' Lyric Video - Blabbermouth.net
- "Delain Singer Charlotte Wessels Talks New Album 'The Human Contradiction' + More". Retrieved June 12, 2015.
- "Delain interview 2012". Retrieved June 12, 2015.
- Westland, Raymond. "Charlotte Wessels Of Delain Talks To ThisIsNotAScene (Part 2)". ThisIsNotAScene. April 11 2014. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- Interview with Charlotte Wessels
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Charlotte Wessels.|