Chatswood West, New South Wales
Sydney, New South Wales
Fullers Bridge, Chatswood West
|Population||1,499 (2016 census)|
|• Density||535/km2 (1,387/sq mi)|
|Established||20 January 2006|
|Area||2.8 km2 (1.1 sq mi)|
|Location||10 km (6 mi) north-west of Sydney CBD|
|LGA(s)||City of Willoughby, City of Ryde|
|State electorate(s)||Lane Cove, Willoughby|
Chatswood West is a suburb on the Lower North Shore of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Chatswood West is located 11 kilometres north-west of the Sydney central business district, in the local government areas of the City of Willoughby and City of Ryde. Chatswood is a separate suburb. The area of Chatswood located west of the Pacific Highway is informally known as West Chatswood, which should not be confused with the separate suburb of Chatswood West, nor should it be confused with the West Chatswood Post Office on Railway Street in the Suburb of Chatswood. Chatswood West shares the same postcode as Chatswood which is 2067.
Chatswood is believed to be named after the pet name "Chat" of the second wife of Richard Harnett (a pioneer of the district) and the original "wooded" nature of the area.
Chatswood West played a part in a famous Australian mystery, with the bodies of Dr Gilbert Bogle and Mrs Margaret Chandler being discovered on the banks of the Lane Cove River, 70 metres south of Fullers Bridge, on 1 January 1963.
Chatswood West is mainly residential, with small commercial areas on Fullers Road. The National Acoustics Laboratories is on Greville Street.
The residential buildings are overwhelmingly detached houses. The average house price in Chatswood West is $1,740,000 in 2016, and the average rental price is $700p/w. Many houses within Chatswood West, especially those in Greville Street, Colwell Crescent and Mooney Street look onto Chatswood Golf Club.
Chatswood West is served by Chatswood High School and Chatswood Public School, both situated close by in Chatswood. Near by schools also include Mowbray Public School, which is located in Lane Cove North.
Facilities within Chatswood West includes Chatswood Golf Club.
There are regular buses that connect the area with the Chatswood CBD, and other suburbs such as Parramatta. Chatswood railway station is on the North Shore, Northern & Western Line of the Sydney Trains network. The main bus route that connects Chatswood to Chatswood West in the 255 and 256 routes, run by Sydney Buses.
According to the 2016 census, there were 1,499 residents in Chatswood West. 57.9% of people were born in Australia. The next most common country of birth was China at 9.3%. 67.7% of people only spoke English at home. Other languages spoken at home included Mandarin at 11.2%. The most common responses for religion in Chatswood West were No Religion 36.5%, Catholic 21.2% and Anglican 13.0%.
- Kenneth Slessor - poet, lived on the west side of the Pacific Highway
- Roger Woodward - pianist, lived at Peckham Street
- Errol Flynn - movie star, lived in McLean Avenue
- Tony Abbott - politician, lived in West Parade
There are a number of parks and forest reserves such as Ferndale Park. There are walking tracks and a golf course. There are two entrances to Lane Cove National Park from Chatswood West, one on Lady Game Drive, and one on Delhi Road, next to Fullers Bridge.
Noteworthy indigenous flora includes the blackbutt, tree heath, celery wood, coachwood, native crabapple and hard corkwood. Ferns include jungle brake, fishbone water fern, filmy fern and necklace fern.
Fauna includes powerful owl, barking owl, Australian king parrot, brush turkey, eastern whipbird, satin bowerbird, eastern water dragon, emerald spotted frog, enamelled spider, red triangle slug, blue planarian, long-nosed bandicoot and marsupial mouse.
Crossing of Swaines Creek, Chatswood West
Coachwood - Ferndale Park
Large blackbutt - Ferndale Park
Coachwood rainforest - Ferndale Park
Lilli pilli rainforest - Ferndale Park
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Chatswood West (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- Post, Australia. "Chatswood Postcode". auspost.com.au. Retrieved 2017-05-09.
- The Book of Sydney Suburbs, Compiled by Frances Pollon, Angus & Robertson Publishers, 1990, Published in Australia ISBN 0-207-14495-8, page 59
- Brown, Russell (1998-07-07). "Bogle & Chandler: The Discovery of the Bodies". boglechandler.com/. Russell Brown. Retrieved 2007-08-21.
- "Chatswood West". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "Free Suburb Profile report for Chatswood West NSW (2067)". www.yourinvestmentpropertymag.com.au. Retrieved 2017-05-09.
- "255 & 256 Bus Route" (PDF).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chatswood West, New South Wales.|