|Born||1953 November 21
|Political party||Left Fellow Traveller|
|Alma mater||St. Joseph's High School, Trivandrum,
Mar Ivanios College, Trivandrum,
University College Trivandrum and
Government Law College, Thiruvananthapuram.
|Occupation||Consultant, Kairali TV, People TV|
Cherian Philip is a senior politician of Kerala and a political thinker. He is a left fellow traveler. He was the Secretary of Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee while A. K. Antony was in presidency. He was a prominent youth and student leader of congress in seventies and eighties. Political historian of India and Kerala and author of several books. He worked as a consultant for Kairali TV and People TV. He was Chairman of Kerala Tourism Development Corporation (KTDC) and founder president of "Kerala Deshiya Vedhi" - A social organisation.
Cherian Philip was born in Aarattupuzha Chengannur, Kerala as the elder son of K C Philip, Kadavana sub family of Pakalomattom Ayrookuzhiyil, a prominent Saint Thomas Christian family of Kerala. He resides at Jai Bhavan, Kunnukuzhy, Thiruvananthapuram. Studied at St. Joseph's high School, Trivandrum, Mar Ivanios College, Trivandrum, University College Trivandrum and Government Law College, Thiruvananthapuram.
Cherian Philip entered politics through Kerala Students Union (KSU) in 1967 as school unit President while Oommen Chandy was its president. He was elected as the Secretary of the Kerala University Union and Senate Member of Kerala University in 1974. He became the General Secretary of KSU in 1975 and its President in 1979-80. From 1980 onwards, he was the Vice-President of Kerala Pradesh Youth Congress and from 1982–89, was the General Secretary of Youth Congress. During the period 1984-89, he was the member of Indian Youth Congress National Council. Then became the Secretary of Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee (KPCC). In 1992, he constituted a new social organization named Kerala Desiya Vedhi in his Presidency. Until 2001, he was in the Indian National Congress and later quit Congress. He contested against Sri.Oommen Chandy. as a protest against power monopoly in congress. His demand was not to give tickets to MLA's completed two terms or 10 years. But congress leadership denied it.
In 2006 he contested against Joseph M Puthussery in Kalluppara and in 2011 contested against K Muraleedharan in vattiyurkavu
He anchored and produced social critical weekly programme 'Cherian Philip pratikarikkunnu' on the Kairali Malayalam TV Channel for 10 years from 2001–06 and 2011-2016 which ran about 500 episodes.
He was the Chairman of Kerala Tourism Development Corporation (KTDC).. International Marina (Kochi), Kerala house (Chennai), GV Raja Convention Centre (Kovalam), Beach Camp (Bekal), Golden Peak resorts (Ponmudi) and 14 Tamarind Hotel during his tenure
He worked as the consultant for Kairali TV and People TV. He is the author of seven books: "Kaal Noottandu" (Political History of Kerala)," Swatandryatinu Sesham"-(Political History of India), "Vidyabhyasa Viplavam" -An educational Study, "Azhimatiyude kara"-A social Criticism, "Gulfile Keralam" - a Lifestyle study, "Netrunira"- Life sketches of 200 Kerala politicians, "Rastriya Vijnjanam"-political theory, "Idanazhikalil" - Autobiography
Cherian Philip received several awards from Kerala Government and social organizations for his books and TV programmes. H was editor of Kalashala fortnightly official organ of KSU (1974–80). Was the political correspondent of Veekshanam daily (1976–82). He was the editor of Socialist Youth monthly, the official organ of Youth Congress from 1980–87 and also the convenor of 'YuvaPratibha', a cultural organization. He attended World Youth Festivals in Moscow (1984), Korea (1989). He visited more than 30 countries in the world.
- "Cherian Philip's website launched". The New Indian Express. 22 Aug 2010. Retrieved 30 August 2010.
- "KTF - 2007 - Mega Tourism Festival in Cochin". Kerala Tourism Festival 2007.
- "Abolish post of Collector: Cherian Philip". The Hindu. 12 February 2010. Retrieved 30 August 2010.
- "Record achievements for KTDC". The Hindu. 1 November 2009. Retrieved 30 August 2010.
- "Ayrookuzhiyil Family". Archived from the original on 6 January 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- Ayookuzhiyil Kudumbacharitram. Ayookuzhiyil Kudumba Charitra Committee. 2005. p. 134.
- "CPI(M) may back Cherian Philip". The Hindu. 6 April 2001. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- "Kerala Assembly Election Results 1991: KOTTAYAM". keralaassembly.org. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- "Kerala Assembly Election Results-- 2001: 92. PUTHUPPALLY". keralaassembly.org. 2001. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- "Tourism needs more funds: KTDC chief". The Hindu. 27 January 2010. Retrieved 30 August 2010.
- Ayrookuzhiyil Kadavana Family
- Cherian Philip's blog
- CPI(M) may back Cherian Philip, The Hindu, 6 April 2001
- CHERIAN PHILIP: Affidavits filed by Candidate
- Real estate racket behind GIM, says Cherian Philip , The Hindu 12 January 2003
- Site of Kerala Tourism Department, Govt of Kerala, India
- KTDC properties less affected by the slow down: Cherian Philip , 21 January 2009
- VS inaugurates Onam celebrations, The Hindu.
- TV channels call the bluff of Kerala politicians
- "Cherian Philip lashes out at administrative service officers", The Hindu, 20 February 2010
- Ak Antony is my political mentor: Cherian Philip in.com
- Retain Upper Sanatorium: Cherian Philip, The Hindu, 29 November 2007
- Janata Dal demands resignation of Cherian Philip, Asianet, 23 October 2009
- KTDC chief calls for probe into purchase of boat, The Times of India, 24 October 2009