|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Sunset on chinnasalem lake,
|• Total||13.60 km2 (5.25 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,435.2205/km2 (3,717.204/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
As of 2001 India census, Chinnasalem had a population of 19519. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Chinnasalem has an average literacy rate of 75%, higher than the national average of 50.5%; with male literacy of 78% and female literacy of 50%. 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Chinnasalem is a Town Panchayat in district of Viluppuram, Tamil Nadu. The Chinnasalem city is divided into 18 wards for which elections are held every 5 years. The Chinnasalem Town Panchayat has population of 25,106 of which 12,291 are males while 12,815 are females as per report released by Census India 2011.
Population of Children with age of 0-6 is 2534 which is 10.09% of total population of Chinnasalem (TP). In Chinnasalem Town Panchayat, Female Sex Ratio is of 1043 against state average of 996. Moreover Child Sex Ratio in Chinnasalem is around 936 compared to Tamil Nadu state average of 943. Literacy rate of Chinnasalem city is 81.37% higher than state average of 80.09%. In Chinnasalem, Male literacy is around 88.95% while female literacy rate is 74.18%.
Chinnasalem Town Panchayat has total administration over 6,181 houses to which it supplies basic amenities like water and sewerage. It is also authorized to build roads within Town Panchayat limits and impose taxes on properties coming under its jurisdiction.
The economy of Chinnasalem is primarily agricultural, including cultivation of Rice, Tapioca, Cotton, Vegetables, Dairy Farming, and Turmeric. Chinnasalem's weekly market serves the surrounding village areas.
It has nearly 75 rice mills and the surrounding areas, which are the major source of employment. Chinnasalem rice producers won "Gem of India" award, honored by Government of India for the quality rice production.
It also has sago factories producing Sago from tapioca. The rice bran oil produced here . Chinnasalem is also known for its wood crafts. These industrial exports are shipped to other parts of the state and internationally. There are thousand no of paddy harvesters who are going to cultivate paddy in all over Tamil Nadu and other south Indian states. There are a lot of land grabbing cases where property is sold without clear titles by prominent middle men. The land grabbers are cunning middle men who pretend to help helpless families (who have some family disputes) and these conmen act as good samaritan and capitalise on distress/illegal contracts.
The town has engineering colleges, arts and science colleges and teacher training institutions.
- Idhaya Engineering College for Women
- Mahabharathi Engineering college
- Government ITI, Chinnasalem.
- Shree Balaji Teacher Training Institute
- Bharathi Teacher Training Institute
- Dr. Radhakrishnan Teacher Training Institute
- T.M.S. Teacher Training Institute
- Sakthi Teacher Training Institute
- ECR International CBSE School
- Sakthi Matric Higher Secondary SChool,
- Little Flower Hr Sec School
- Milton Matriculation School
- Oli Matriculation School
- Kurinji Matriculation School
- Government Boys Higher Secondary School
- Government Girls Higher Secondary School
- Jeevan Matriculation School
- Bharathi Matriculation School
- Sri Saradha Vidhyalaya Nursery and Primary School
This town is the midpoint between Chennai and Coimbatore (242 kilometres (150 mi) each way) and between Salem and Villupuram (approx 85 kilometres (53 mi) from either point). The town is well connected by buses from Villupuram, Salem, Erode, Coimbatore, tirupathi ( 5.30pm and 8 pm at chinnasalem, 5.20am at tirupathi), bengaluru ( 9.00pm and 10.00pm at chinnasalem ), chennai ( buses for everey 15mins ) and the northern region of Kerala. Buses also run from Perambalur, Thiruvannamalai, Trichy, Namakkal, Cuddalore districts.
- Salem to Vriddhachalam passenger
- Bangalore to Karaikkal Fast passenger
- Salem to chennai egmore to dadar express
- Puducherry to Mangalore weekly express
- Yeshwantpur(Bangalore) to Puducherry garib rath
- Erode to chennai egmore special daytime intercity express
The Nearest Airports are Salem Airport (85 kilometres (53 mi)), Tiruchirapalli (100 kilometres (62 mi)), Coimbatore (245 kilometres (152 mi)), Chennai (250 kilometres (160 mi)) and Bangalore (285 kilometres (177 mi)).
Places of interest
Kalvarayan Hills and Komugi Dam (18 km) and Chinnasalem Forest (3 km). Attupannai (Sheep Farm), which is said to be Asia's first biggest farm (nearly 1866.28 acres) at V. Kootroad, a suburb of Chinnasalem on NH68.swarnapureeswarar temple famous for kagapusandar samadhi and shodasa lingam(with 16 stripes) at thenpon parapi(5.5km)
For kallakurichi lok sabha constituency, Chinnasalem is the middle area of all sides and it's surrounded with more than 50 villages. All the villages comes under chinnasalem union.
- "Table - 3 : Population, population in the age group 0-6 and literates by sex - Cities/Towns (in alphabetic order): 2001". Census of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "List of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies" (PDF). Election Commission of India. Archived from the original (PDF) on 31 October 2008. Retrieved 9 September 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chinnasalem.|