|No. 5 – New York Jets|
February 14, 1995 |
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||228 lb (103 kg)|
|High school:||Fork Union (VA) Military|
|NFL Draft:||2016 / Round: 2 / Pick: 51|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Christian Blaize Hackenberg (born February 14, 1995) is an American football quarterback for the New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Penn State, and was drafted by the Jets in the second round of the 2016 NFL Draft.
Hackenberg attended Fluvanna County High School for his freshman year before transferring to Fork Union Military Academy in Fork Union, Virginia. He was ranked as the best pro-style quarterback recruit by ESPN, and the second best pro-style quarterback recruit by Rivals.com.
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||40‡||Commit date|
|Fork Union, VA||Fork Union Military Academy||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)||212 lb (96 kg)||4.84||Feb 29, 2012|
|Recruiting star ratings: Scout: Rivals: 247Sports: ESPN grade: 88|
|Overall recruiting rankings:|
Hackenberg committed to Penn State after being recruited by a tandem of Penn State coaches – quarterbacks coach Charlie Fisher and running backs coach/recruiting coordinator Charles London, turning down offers from Alabama, UConn, Florida, Rutgers, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia. Scouted as a five-star recruit by both Rivals.com and Scout.com, and the No. 2 pro-style quarterback in the nation, Hackenberg was described as an accurate, drop-back passer with ample athleticism who had a high ceiling.
As a true freshman in 2013, Hackenberg was named the team's starting quarterback. In the first three games of the season, he twice earned Big Ten Conference Freshman of the Week accolades, with a 72-percent completion percentage, 851 yards, 4 touchdowns and 4 interceptions. In a game against Eastern Michigan, he set the Penn State single-game record for passing yards by a freshman with 311 (previous record of 280 held by Zack Mills). Coach Bill O'Brien commended Hackenberg's leadership of the team, noting that the team fed off his calm demeanor, in contrast to O'Brien's fiery personality. He did note that Hackenberg made some mistakes typical of younger players, but he was on the fast track to grasping O'Brien's complex offensive schemes. Hackenberg was a five-time Big Ten Freshman of the Week and was named the 2013 Big Ten Football Freshman of the Year.
Hackenberg broke ten school freshman records, and one overall Penn State record in 2013.
|NCAA career totals||37||37||685||1,221||8,318||56.1||48||31||121.4||207||-246||-1.2||6|
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40‑yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20‑ss||3‑cone||Vert jump||Broad|
|6 ft 4 in
|4.78 s||1.64 s||2.82 s||4.33 s||7.04 s||31 in
|9 ft 5 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
The New York Jets selected Hackenberg in the second round (51st overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft. On May 12, 2016, the New York Jets signed Hackenberg to a four-year, $4.66 million contract featuring a $1.6 million signing bonus.
Hackenberg made his preseason debut on August 27, 2016 during the third preseason game against the New York Giants, where he completed 6 out of 16 passes for 105 yards with a touchdown and an interception. He also played in the preseason finale against the Philadelphia Eagles on September 1, 2016, where he was 11 for 31 with 54 passing yards and an interception returned for a touchdown.
Hackenberg began the regular season as the Jets' fourth-string quarterback. He was inactive for the first 15 regular season games, and was only active in the season finale due to a decimated depth chart. Throughout the season, he remained on the bench behind starting quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, who was benched for ineffective play, Geno Smith, who went on season-ending injured reserve list, and Bryce Petty, who also suffered a season-ending injury. Hackenberg did not play a down in the 2016 season.
- Moyer, Josh. "Hackenberg named B1G Freshman of the Year". ESPN. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- "Christian Hackenberg". Football Recruiting – Player Profiles – ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures. February 6, 2013. Retrieved October 17, 2013.
- "Christian Hackenberg". Yahoo! Sports – Football Recruiting. Yahoo!. Retrieved October 17, 2013.
- "Christian Hackenberg – Scouting Report". Football Recruiting – Player Profiles – ESPN Insider (subscription required). ESPN Internet Ventures. February 6, 2013. Retrieved October 17, 2013.
- Moyer, Josh (August 30, 2013). "Penn State Nittany Lions to start Christian Hackenberg at QB". ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved October 17, 2013.
- "Hackenberg named Big Ten Freshman of Week". Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia. NBC Universal. September 16, 2013. Archived from the original on September 18, 2013. Retrieved September 19, 2013.
- Flounders, Bob (September 18, 2013). "The Big Easy: Calm, confident Penn State quarterback Christian Hackenberg making big strides early in his career". The Patriot News. Harrisburg, PA. Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- "Hackenberg wins Big Ten freshman of the year award". Daily Collegian.
- Kalland, Robby (January 2, 2016). "Penn State QB Christian Hackenberg declares for the NFL Draft". CBSSports.com. Retrieved January 2, 2016.
- "Christian Hackenberg". www.sports-reference.com. USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties. Retrieved October 25, 2015.
- Shanker, Jared (January 2, 2016). "Christian Hackenberg to enter draft". espn.com. Retrieved January 2, 2016.
- "NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Christian Hackenberg". National Football League.
- Cimini, Rich. "Jets take Christian Hackenberg, adding intrigue to QB situation". ESPN. Retrieved April 30, 2016.
- Cimini, Rich. "Hackenberg signs rookie deal with Jets". ESPN. Retrieved May 12, 2016.
- Slater, Darryl. "Jets' Christian Hackenberg shows progress, inexperience in debut". NJ. Retrieved August 27, 2016.
- Schwab, Frank. "Jets QB Christian Hackenberg posts an unbelievably awful stat line". Yahoo Sports. Retrieved September 1, 2016.
- "Ourlads.com: New York Jets' Depth Chart". ourlads.com. Retrieved December 24, 2016.
- "Christian Hackenberg inactive for Jets-Patriots". Newsday.com. Retrieved December 24, 2016.
- "Christian Hackenberg Stats". ESPN.com. Retrieved February 1, 2017.