Ciconia When They Cry
|Ciconia When They Cry|
|Release||August 9, 2019|
Ciconia When They Cry[a] is a visual novel video game in development by 07th Expansion. It is the fifth entry in the When They Cry series, following the Higurashi and Umineko games, and follows people trying to prevent the outbreak of World War IV.
The game is written by Ryukishi07 and Nakao Bōshi, and features art by Ryukishi07 and Remotaro, and music by several returning When They Cry series composers. It is planned for a simultaneous worldwide release for Microsoft Windows on August 9, 2019, by 07th Expansion in Japan and by MangaGamer internationally.
Ciconia When They Cry is a visual novel set after the end of World War III. It follows Gauntlet Knights – young people trained to use a new military technology called the Gauntlet, which allows its user to fly, fight, and repel attacks – who have become friends and aim to prevent the outbreak of a fourth world war.
Ciconia When They Cry is developed by 07th Expansion, with a scenario, original character designs and illustrations by Ryukishi07. The game is written by Nakao Bōshi, and has graphics and coloring by Remotaro. The music is composed by returning When They Cry series staff, including Dai, Luck Ganriki, Xaki, and Akiyama Uni; and the opening theme is performed by Maria Sawada.
The game was originally announced in July 2018 with an illustration of its protagonist, under the working title ●● no Naku Koro ni ("[Blank] When They Cry"), along with the expanded Umineko compilation Umineko no Naku Koro ni Saku, both of which were planned for release in Q4 2018. In October 2018, both were delayed until Q2/Q3 2019, due to inaccurate scheduling based on what Ryukishi07 had been physically capable of when he worked on Higurashi and Umineko about ten years prior. At Sakura-Con 2019, Ryukishi07 and video game publisher MangaGamer announced that they would release the game for Microsoft Windows, simultaneously in English and Japanese, coinciding with Summer Comiket 2019 on August 9, 2019.
The English localization is handled by ChronoTrig and Klashikari and numerous other members of the translation group Witch Hunt, who previously worked on the translations for Umineko and Rose Guns Days. Witch Hunt is also working on the Umineko compilation, but is on Ryukishi07's request giving Ciconia priority.
- Sherman, Jennifer (2018-11-30). "Ciconia no Naku koro ni, Umineko Games' Videos Streamed". Anime News Network. Archived from the original on 2019-05-07. Retrieved 2019-05-07.
- Hodgkins, Crystalyn (2019-04-20). "MangaGamer to Release Ciconia When They Cry Game". Anime News Network. Archived from the original on 2019-04-20. Retrieved 2019-05-07.
- Romano, Sal (2018-07-14). "New Naku Koro ni title and Umineko no Naku Koro ni Saku announced [Update]". Gematsu. Archived from the original on 2019-05-05. Retrieved 2019-05-07.
- Gueed (2018-11-30). "竜騎士07氏の新作「キコニアのなく頃に」が2019年夏リリースへ。そのティザームービーが公開に". 4Gamer.net (in Japanese). Aetas, Inc. Archived from the original on 2019-05-05. Retrieved 2019-05-07.
- Romano, Sal (2018-10-04). "New Naku Koro ni title and Umineko no Naku Koro ni Saku delayed to summer 2019 in Japan". Gematsu. Archived from the original on 2019-05-05. Retrieved 2019-05-07.
- Wong, Alistair (2019-04-20). "Ciconia When They Cry Is Releasing In The West Simultaneously With Japan". Siliconera. Curse, Inc. Archived from the original on 2019-04-23. Retrieved 2019-05-07.
- Lada, Jenni (2018-11-29). "Ciconia no Naku Koro ni When They Cry 5 And Umineko no Naku Koro ni Saku Videos Released". Siliconera. Curse, Inc. Archived from the original on 2019-05-05. Retrieved 2019-05-07.