|Born||November 19, 1973|
|Genre||Horror, Mystery fiction|
|Notable works||Higurashi no Naku Koro ni|
Umineko no Naku Koro ni
Ryukishi07 (竜騎士07 Ryūkishi Rei-Na, born November 19, 1973) is the pen name of a Japanese man originally from Chiba Prefecture, and the original creator for the idea of the visual novel series Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Umineko no Naku Koro ni. He is the representative member of the group 07th Expansion. His pen name originates from the Final Fantasy series, "Ryūkishi" being the Japanese term for "Dragoon", and "07" goroawase for the name of Final Fantasy V character "Lenna".
Ryukishi07, who was interested in video games, anime and manga, studied at a vocational school that specialized in art. During that time, he wrote doujinshi. During his time in college, he tried to write manga and novels, but he came to realize that "No matter your passion for something, without skill, you can never make it as a professional." One day, he met with a colleague from a theatre troupe, and he was inspired to write a play called "The Hinamizawa Bus Stop" (雛見沢停留所 Hinamizawa Teiryūjo) which he submitted to a contest that he later lost.
After graduating from the vocational school, he dreamed of becoming a video game developer, so he focused on finding a job at a video game manufacturer. However, none of his attempts at this were successful. Reluctantly, he took up a position at a menswear store, from which he got inspired, but after a few months, he tentatively took up an offer for a civil service position based on the civil service test that he had taken during the job search.
Reactions to worldwide spread of his works
In a 2012 interview with Damien Bandrac for the Journal du Japon, Ryukishi07 said that:
Initially, my audience was otaku who attend Comiket, which are a very small fraction of Japanese otaku, themselves a small part of Japanese people in general! I never thought for one second that I could be read, published, edited at the other end of the planet, in France... As for Higurashi, I never thought that people outside Japan might be interested. Umineko in particular is a text that even Japanese people can have difficulty reading. So, to imagine that foreigners have made the effort to read it, understand it, and translate it, is an indescribable happiness to me.
His writing has been described as alternating between "macabre scenes and schoolboy humor". He has said that, "a story should be like a roller coaster. That is to say before writing a really cruel scene, I have to lift the people's spirits, for example, with a fun scene... Before writing a scene of pure despair, we must go through scenes of hope. And indeed, when I write, all of this amuses me very much."
- Higurashi When They Cry (screenplay and illustrations, Kodansha Box novels)
- Kaidan to Odorō, Soshite Anata wa Kaidan de Odoru (怪談と踊ろう、そしてあなたは階段で踊る), novel, serialized in Faust
- Higurashi Daybreak (screenplay)
- Umineko When They Cry (screenplay and illustrations, Kodansha Box novels)
- Rewrite by Key (partial screenplay)
- Ōkami Kakushi by Konami (original plan/director)
- Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni
- Natsu no Kagerō (なつのかげろう), a 3D game collaboration with Twilight Frontier
- Rose Guns Days (screenplay and partial character design)
- Hotarubi no Tomoru Koro ni (Story)
- Trianthology: Sanmenkyō no Kuni no Alice (partial screenplay and partial illustrations)
- Renai Harem Game Shuuryou no Oshirase ga Kuru Koro ni (story)
- "スクウェア・エニックス MUSICパワード VOL.1". Gangan Powered (in Japanese). 2006.
- Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni production staff. "07th Expansion インタビュー"ひぐらしのなかせ方"掲載！" [07th Expansion Interview: How They Make the Cicadas Cry Published!]. TORANOANA (in Japanese). TORANOANA Inc. Archived from the original on December 24, 2004. Retrieved December 24, 2004.
- 佐々木, 由香. "ビジネス★ヒーローインタビューVol.6：シナリオライター竜騎士07さん" [Business★Hero Interviews Vol. 6: Ryukishi07]. マイナビ (in Japanese). MyNavi Corporation. Retrieved January 11, 2013.
- Bandrac, Damien (2012-06-10). "Interview avec Ryukishi07, auteur chapeauté - Journal du Japon" (in French). Journal du Japon. Archived from the original on 2014-03-30. Retrieved 2013-03-09.
- "Higurashi's Ryukishi07 Announces Rose Guns Days". Anime News Network. January 31, 2012. Retrieved January 31, 2012.
- "Rose Guns Days Game by Higurashi's Ryukishi07 Outlined". Anime News Network. 2012-02-26. Retrieved 2012-03-01.
- 07th Expansion's official website (in Japanese)