This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2021)
|Part of a series on|
Advertising or marketing clutter refers to the large volume of advertising messages that the average consumer is exposed to on a daily basis.
One explanation, in a general sense, is that advertising clutter is often a result of a marketplace that is (over)-crowded with competing products. Heightened competition from this phenomenon has led to the emergence of other advertising strategies, including guerrilla marketing, viral marketing, and experiential marketing along with new focuses on humanising messaging within marketing.
Online advertising clutter
- Ha, Louisa (2017). "Digital Advertising Clutter in an Age of Mobile Media". Digital Advertising. pp. 69–85. doi:10.4324/9781315623252-5. ISBN 978-1-315-62325-2.
- Morimoto, Mariko (2017). "Personalization, Perceived Intrusiveness, Irritation, and Avoidance in Digital Advertising". Digital Advertising. pp. 110–123. doi:10.4324/9781315623252-7. ISBN 978-1-315-62325-2.
- Burns, Kelli S.; Lutz, Richard J. (2006). "The Function of Format: Consumer Responses to Six On-Line Advertising Formats". Journal of Advertising. 35 (1): 53–63. doi:10.2753/joa0091-3367350104. JSTOR 20460712. S2CID 143825277.
- Cho, Chang-Hoan; Cheon, Hongsik John (2004). "Why Do People Avoid Advertising on the Internet?". Journal of Advertising. 33 (4): 89–97. doi:10.1080/00913367.2004.10639175. JSTOR 4189279. S2CID 53486785.)
- Seyedghorban, Zahra; Tahernejad, Hossein; Matanda, Margaret Jekanyika (2 January 2016). "Reinquiry into Advertising Avoidance on the Internet: A Conceptual Replication and Extension". Journal of Advertising. 45 (1): 120–129. doi:10.1080/00913367.2015.1085819. S2CID 146725666.
- "The Persuaders," Frontline, PBS, November 9, 2004; OCLC 1056937285
- "Research: Clutter rises, Even In Weak Ad Economy: Study: Nearly 1 in 4 Primetime Minutes in 2001," by Keven Downey, article in Media Life (bygone eMagazine), April 5, 2002; OCLC 46765995 (archival access host: Wayback Machine)
- "The Real Competition Is Clutter : Marty Neumeier," Humanise The Brand Magazine
- Ha, Louisa; McCann, Kim (January 2008). "An integrated model of advertising clutter in offline and online media". International Journal of Advertising. 27 (4): 569–592. doi:10.2501/S0265048708080153. S2CID 168088754.
- Elliott, Michael T.; Speck, Paul Surgi (1998). "Consumer perceptions of advertising clutter and its impact across various media". Journal of Advertising Research. 38 (1): 29–30. OCLC 86771724. Gale A54376730.
- Ha, Louisa (1996). "Advertising clutter in consumer magazines: dimensions and effects". Journal of Advertising Research. 36 (4): 76–85. OCLC 193912585. Gale A18782739.
- Rumbo, Joseph D. (February 2002). "Consumer resistance in a world of advertising clutter: The case of Adbusters". Psychology and Marketing. 19 (2): 127–148. doi:10.1002/mar.10006.
- Ha, Louisa; Litman, Barry R. (March 1997). "Does Advertising Clutter Have Diminishing and Negative Returns?". Journal of Advertising. 26 (1): 31–42. doi:10.1080/00913367.1997.10673516.
- Brown, Tom J.; Rothschild, Michael L. (June 1993). "Reassessing the Impact of Television Advertising Clutter". Journal of Consumer Research. 20 (1): 138. doi:10.1086/209339.
- Speck, Paul Surgi; Elliott, Michael T. (September 1997). "The Antecedents and Consequences of Perceived Advertising Clutter". Journal of Current Issues & Research in Advertising. 19 (2): 39–54. doi:10.1080/10641734.1997.10524436.
- Lee, Sang Yeal; Cho, Yong-Suk (8 July 2010). "Do Web Users Care About Banner Ads Anymore? The Effects of Frequency and Clutter in Web Advertising". Journal of Promotion Management. 16 (3): 288–302. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.688.1429. doi:10.1080/10496490903582594. S2CID 10211274.