Cold Springs, Oregon
|Cold Springs, Oregon|
|Elevation||574 ft (175 m)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|Area code(s)||458 and 541|
|GNIS feature ID||1158171|
|Coordinates and elevation from Geographic Names Information System|
Cold Springs is an unincorporated community in Umatilla County, Oregon, United States, south of the Columbia River in the Hermiston area. Cold Springs Junction is a populated place and highway junction about 4 miles (6 km) northeast of Cold Springs at the junction of Oregon Route 37 and U.S. Route 730.
One of several geographic features in the area—including Cold Springs Wash, Cold Springs Reservoir and Cold Springs Canyon—that were likely named after a local spring, Cold Springs post office was established in 1880 and ran until 1883. It was in the Middle Fork Cold Springs Canyon west of Myrick and east of the reservoir about 28 miles (45 km) northeast of Cold Springs station. The reservoir was formed in the early 1900s when the wash was dammed to provide storage for water diverted from the Umatilla River for irrigation.
- "Cold Springs". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. November 28, 1980. Retrieved December 24, 2009.
- "Cold Springs Junction". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. November 28, 1980. Retrieved December 24, 2009.
- Avers, Henry G. (1926). "First-Level Ordering in Oregon" (PDF). United States Department of Commerce: U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey. Retrieved December 24, 2009.
- McArthur, Lewis A.; Lewis L. McArthur (2003) . Oregon Geographic Names (7th ed.). Portland, Oregon: Oregon Historical Society Press. p. 217. ISBN 0-87595-277-1.
- "Cold Springs Post Office (historical)". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. August 1, 1994. Retrieved December 24, 2009.