|16th United States Ambassador to Hungary|
December 16, 2014
|Preceded by||Eleni Tsakopoulos Kounalakis|
|Born||Colleen Clark Bradley
January 30, 1967
Evanston, Illinois, U.S.
|Alma mater||Sweet Briar College (B.A.) University of St Andrews (JYA)|
Colleen Bradley Bell (born January 30, 1967) is an American television producer, philanthropist and advocate for the environment, arts and social causes. Bell resides in Los Angeles with her husband, television writer/producer Bradley Bell, and their four children. Bell has been confirmed to serve as the United States Ambassador to Hungary.
Early life and education
Bell was born in Evanston, IL to Sheila, a partner with an interior design firm, and Edward Bradley, a partner in the law firm of Bradley & Bradley. She graduated with honors from Sweet Briar College with a bachelor’s degree in political economy, a dual major in political science and economics. She spent her junior year abroad at the University of St Andrews in Scotland.
Colleen Bell is a producer of The Bold and the Beautiful. The Bold and the Beautiful, produced by Bell-Phillip Television Productions Inc., has won 40 Daytime Emmy Awards including Outstanding Drama Series in 2009, 2010, and 2011.
Distinguished soap opera specialist
Bell is active in the arts community as well as environmental and social nonprofit organizations.
Pres. Barack Obama named Bell, along with 9 others including Caroline Kennedy, as a trustee of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts on August 31, 2012. In February 2010, Colleen Bell was appointed by the President to the President’s Advisory Committee on the Arts for the Kennedy Center and has served as the committee chair since April 2011.
Bell has been involved in several initiatives with the Natural Resources Defense Council. She is a founding member of the LA Leadership Council, Global Leadership Council and sits on the advisory board of Clean By Design, an NRDC initiative to improve the environmental performance of the global textile supply chain. In June 2011 Bell co-chaired and spoke at the NRDC event celebrating World Oceans Day.
Bell also serves on the Board of Directors of the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), the Music Center and the Rape Treatment Center at UCLA Medical Center, Santa Monica. She is Vice Chair of the Children's Institute Inc., a nonprofit organization specializing in the treatment and prevention of child abuse and neglect. Founded in 1906, CII serves 20,000 Los Angeles County children and families each year.
Bell has been politically active in her community and was selected as a California Delegate to the 2012 Democratic National Convention. As a member of the National Finance Committee for Obama 2012, Ms. Bell hosted two events at her home on February 15, 2012 including a performance by the Grammy Award Winning Foo Fighters and a private dinner. The proceeds from both events went to the Obama Victory Fund, a joint fundraising committee authorized by Obama for America and the Democratic National Committee. In September The New York Times reported that Bell is one of Obama's top bundlers.
Ambassadorial appointment to Hungary secured by cloture in the US Senate
On November 6, 2013, Pres. Obama announced his intent to nominate Ms. Bell as U.S. Ambassador to Hungary. The nomination was controversial and Senator John McCain called her "totally unqualified" at a time when Hungary was "on the verge of ceding its sovereignty to a neo-fascist dictator". On December 1, 2014, the U.S. Senate voted 50-36 to invoke cloture on Bell's nomination, thus cutting off a Republican-led filibuster. On December 2, 2014, the Senate voted 52-42 to confirm Bell. Bell faced criticisms from Republicans, led by McCain, and commentators over her perceived lack of expertise on Hungary and its current geopolitical situation, as well as for the political nature of her appointment.
- "Colleen Bradley, Bradley Bell Wed", Chicago Tribune, March 28, 2012
- Bold and the Beautiful Credits, December 7, 2012
- "Guinness World Records Names Bold and the Beautiful "Most Popular Daytime TV Soap"", Guinness World Records, March 28, 2012
- "President Obama Announces More Key Administration Posts", The White House, Office of the Press Secretary, August 31, 2012
- "Caroline Kennedy, David Bohnett named Kennedy Center trustees", Los Angeles Times, August 31, 2012
- "President Obama Announces More Key Administration Posts", PoliticalNews.me, September 1, 2012
- "President Obama Announces More Key Administration Posts, 2/26/10", The White House, Office of the Press Secretary, March 28, 2012
- "Responsible Sourcing for the Textile Industry ", The Natural Resources Defense Council, March 28, 2012
- Frances Beinecke, "Celebrating the Oceans", The Natural Resources Defense Council, March 28, 2012
- "Overview: Board of Trustees", The Los Angeles County Museum of Art, March 28, 2012
- "About: Board of Directors", The Music Center, March 28, 2012
- Rob Fenn, "Inner-city Arts Honors Colleen Bell, Soraya Sarah Nazarian and Dream Works Animation Skg at the 2011 Imagine Gala", Beverly Hills Times, March 28, 2012
- "About CII: Board of Trustees", Children's Institute, Inc., March 28, 2012
- "About CII", Children's Institute, Inc., Nov. 26, 2012
- "Showbiz Figures Among Delegates to DNC", Variety, Aug. 8, 2012
- "2012 Convention Delegates", Democratic National Committee, 2012
- David Jackson, "Obama: Recovery has been a 'steep' climb", USA Today, March 28, 2012
- Anna Almendrala, "Obama In Los Angeles On February 15, 2012: Full Itinerary & Map", Huffington Post, March 28, 2012
- Charlie Spiering, "Another lavish Hollywood cash dash for Obama" Washington Examiner, March 28, 2012
- "Obama’s Top Fund-Raisers", The New York Times, September 13, 2012
- "Political races tap the clout of Hollywood power women", Variety, Oct. 4, 2012
- "Soap Opera Producer Is Now an Ambassador and John McCain Isn't Happy", ABC News, Dec. 2, 2014
- "John McCain Fights, Loses Good Fight Against Bundler-Ambassadors". Bloomberg. 2014-12-02. Retrieved 2014-12-04.
- "When Big Money Leads To Diplomatic Posts". NPR. 2014-12-03. Retrieved 2014-12-04.
- Colleen Bell at the Internet Movie Database
- Vogue Magazine “Ladies Who Picnic” March 2006 (subscription required)
- TV Guide “The Bold and the Beautiful Gets a Fashion Makeover” accessed March 28, 2012
Eleni Tsakopoulos Kounalakis
|United States Ambassador to Hungary