Colonnades Leisure Park
The Colonnades Leisure Park (also known as Croydon Colonnades) is an out-of-town leisure park located in the Purley Way retail and industrial district of the London Borough of Croydon, South London. It opened in the late 1990s on the former site of the Croydon Water Palace, an indoor water park complex that operated from 1990 to 1996. It lies alongside the Purley Way Playing Fields, and opposite the former Croydon Airport site.
The Colonnades competes with the nearby Valley Park Retail Area, a main commercial area on Purley Way, but is less busy due to the lack of a notable anchor tenant - Valley Park has IKEA, while the Purley Way Centre has Sainsbury's. Although The Colonnades centres itself as more of an entertainment complex than shopping area. The retail park is the southernmost of the three on the A23 Purley Way, and is close to Purley town centre.
Most of the original outlets in the park were entertainment oriented, including City Limits, an indoor entertainment centre with a restaurant, sports bar, arcade and bowling facilities. The City Limits complex closed following the termination of their lease by owner Punch Taverns.
Other original tenants included Gipsy Moth (a family pub), the food court which used to house Subway, BBQ Xpress, China Wok and Karahi Cuisine. The Gypsy Moth site was demolished in 2018 to make way for a new multi-outlet retail unit, and in early 2019 McDonald's and Nando's were confirmed as tenants of two of the units.
The Colonnades Leisure Park is usually a big entertainment park (Across the Aerodrome hotel) larger than Valley Park's leisure area. (usually Dreams is the anchor of the leisure unit). particularly named Colonnades of Croydon, including different restaurants, and a Wickes being the anchor tenant.
Current tenants of the site include Pizza Hut, McDonald's, Premier Inn, Nando's, a Kidspace indoor adventure playground, Oxygen free jumping, and Nuffield Health & Fitness Centre. T.G.I. Friday's has a restaurant located across the road from the retail area, as well as a Hilton Hotel.
- "City Limits complex on The Colonnades to close within weeks". Archived from the original on 29 August 2010. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- Truelove, Sam (10 January 2019). "Nando's 'to open a new restaurant in Croydon'". getwestlondon. Retrieved 14 June 2019.
- Caffeine boost for shopping complex
- Baynes, Chris (28 November 2015). "Croydon's first drive-through coffee shop opens". Croydon Guardian. Retrieved 14 June 2019.
- Ballinger, Chris (2 October 2019). "KFC is opening at the Colonnades in Croydon in the last space next to Nando's". MyLondon. Retrieved 22 September 2020.
- Nandos The Colonnades
- Pizza Hut The Colonnades
- McDonald's The Colonnades
- Kidspace Adventures Croydon
- Nuffield Health & Fitness Croydon
- Premier Inn London Croydon (Purley A23)