Comandante Espora Airport
|Comandante Espora Airport
Aeropuerto de Bahía Blanca - Comandante Espora
|Airport type||Public / Military|
|Owner/Operator||Municipalidad de Bahía Blanca|
|Location||Ex Ruta 3, Km 675 (B8000)|
|Elevation AMSL||246 ft / 75 m|
Comandante Espora Airport (IATA: BHI, ICAO: SAZB), also known as Bahía Blanca Airport, is a domestic airport in Bahía Blanca, Argentina, which is served by Aerolíneas Argentinas, LADE, and LAN Argentina.
Comandante Espora Air Naval Base was built in the 1930s to replace the old Puerto Belgrano Air Naval Base, which could not support the newer aircraft that the Argentine Naval Aviation was adding. The new base was built in grounds close to the existing Bahía Blanca Airfield (Spanish: Aeródromo Civil de Bahía Blanca, also known as Villa Harding Green), located approximately 5 kilometers from Bahía Blanca and 25 kilometers from Puerto Belgrano Naval Base. The new airfield was opened on 16 June 1939 as per Decree Nº 33.684/939.
From 1968 it was opened to civil and commercial traffic replacing the old civil airstrip at Villa Harding Green, the installations and runway were expanded and in 1972 were released to the commercial traffic linking the Argentine South. In September 1977 new runway extensions that allow aircraft of Boeing 767 size were completed. Terminal was reconstructed in 2013, and in July 2015, the two main runways (16R/34L and 16L/34R) changed its designation due to magnetic declination to 17R/35L and 17L/35R. The latter, being 2,616 m (8,583 ft) long was repaved in 2014, so was also runway 06/24, with a new illumination system that allows both runway to operate on night conditions.
At Comandante Espora Naval Aviation Air Base (BACE) the following units are located:
- Naval Aviation Command headquarters (Spanish: Comando de la Aviación Naval)
- Second Naval Air Force (Spanish: Fuerza Aeronaval número 2)
- Central Naval Air Workshop (Spanish: Taller Aeronaval Central)
Airlines and destinations
|Aerolíneas Argentinas||Buenos Aires-Aeroparque|
operated by Austral Líneas Aéreas
|LATAM Argentina||Buenos Aires-Aeroparque|
- Airport information for SAZB at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.
- Airport information for BHI at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective October 2006).
- Airport Council International's 2010 World Airport Traffic Report
- BASE AERONAVAL "COMANDANTE ESPORA" (BACE) - "Histarmar" website (Spanish)(accessed 2015-08-09)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Comandante Espora Airport.|
- (Spanish) Aeropuerto de Bahia Blanca "Comandante Espora" at Organismo Regulador del Sistema Nacional de Aeropuertos
- Current weather for SAZB at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for BHI at Aviation Safety Network
- BASES AERONAVALES DE LA ARMADA ARGENTINA - BASE AERONAVAL "COMANDANTE ESPORA" (BACE) (HistArMar website) (Spanish) Accessed 09-Aug-2015
|This article about an airport in Argentina is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|